• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Normal Temperature Behavior?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Qubix

When idling my system is at around 31c with 27c ambient and when I start Stress Prime 2004 it will jump to 38c. Is this temperature jump normal? I let Stress Prime 2004 run for 45 minutes before stopping, it never went up from 38c. Afterwards it went down to 32c and after a few minutes 31c.

Also, when I crank up my voltage to 1.525v (in bios, 1.488v reported in OS) my PWMIC underload will go up as high as 70c. If I place a 80mm fan blowing directly on them they will drop to about 48c under load.

Seems normal to me. You must keep the PWM's cool... if you don't you will get instability. As you see a simple fan drops the temps over 20C.

Qubix said:
When idling my system is at around 31c with 27c ambient and when I start Stress Prime 2004 it will jump to 38c. Is this temperature jump normal? I let Stress Prime 2004 run for 45 minutes before stopping, it never went up from 38c. Afterwards it went down to 32c and after a few minutes 31c.

Also, when I crank up my voltage to 1.525v (in bios, 1.488v reported in OS) my PWMIC underload will go up as high as 70c. If I place a 80mm fan blowing directly on them they will drop to about 48c under load.

ok for the first part. that is a very good example of what temps are good for. they arnt a measurement of performance but of the fact that your system is doing what it is suposed to which yours is doing fine.

now the second part with the 80mm fan.
on mobos that arnt using the diod inside the cpu ( yeah i know) air can stagnate around the sensor so it will read a little hotter than actual so circulating air helps aliviate that . 48c with higher voltage and an OC is perfectly acceptable for watercooling performance IF you are getting those numbers without your ears bleeding.
if you are getting those numbers and you are running say a bix3, high setting deltas,storm ,and 655 then you would check first your mounting and then your tim and also look at the heat spreader if applicable ( might be warped or curved and not meating the block flush)

this is where people get confused or just go overboard by nature. they think that thier system temps help them is some mystical maner and is all important.

the only real important thing is ... are you happy with your noise level and your MAX STABLE OC. if dropping temps for you gives you 10mhz more OC at 15db more noise go for it but only you can decide where that line should be drawn( not aimed at original poster, aimed at most members in general as i ramble on)

First, thanks for your replies makes me feel better that I mounted everything right and temps are normal to jump like that.

Second I am placing the 80mm fan to blow air directly on the heatsinks on the power regulators of the DFI motherboard. The heatsinks on those bad boys are simply too hot to touch for more than a couple seconds when the board is reporting 70c. I placed a fan on them to push some air across and get them cooled down somewhat. Seen so many other posts of people's overclocks that show the PWMIC temps on motherboard monitor dashboard at around 35-40c with large overclocks + high voltage used, unless people are actively cooling them down with fans.

Thorilan misunderstood the PWM me thinks... he started rambling about the insocket thermistor and pointing a fan at the WB which is NOT what you were referring to.

Back