• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Video editing, with compression?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Silent Frog

At the moment I am using Adobe Premier Pro, I love all the features, and I think of most of them as necessary features. But. I have a small problem.

I want to do video editing on my laptop, but it only has a 80gig hard drive, and I think it is only upgradable to 100gig. Can Premier Pro capture in Divx or something like it and also editing in a compressed format? I can't seem to get it too :(

Or is there another program out there that has most of the features that can capture and edit in a compressed format??

Any help would be awesome.
Thanks.

You always use compression when movie editing. a uncompressed PAL movie with the lenght of a second is ~23,5MB in size. THat's 1.4 GB per minute.

Have you tried mpeg2 for editing? And from what format/source do you capture?

The bear of video editing is that it eats hard drive space for breakfast. :(

If you can get away with it, you should really capture and edit in dv-avi (type 1) to avoid out-of-sync issues that may arise when you render your final project. This, however, eats 13 gigs/hour. If you can't do dv-avi, then capture/edit mpeg2 like klingens mentioned. Mpeg files (mpeg1, mpeg2, mpeg4 like xvid or divx) aren't really meant to be edited, so you might experience syncing problems in your final render. OOS usually rears its ugly head on longer projects.

If you have USB 2.0 ports (or firewire) on your laptop, have some cash, and you're thinking about doing this video stuff a lot, you might think about investing in an external hard drive.

BUT, to answer your question, capturing directly to divx or xvid is a combination of a video capture card and a google search. Most video editors can import compressed video files. Well, at least the Ulead MediaStudio Pro and Ulead VideoStudio. And finally, to export your project to the compressed flavor of your choice, you'll probably need a plug-in for your editor, since most companies charge to render in divx, h264, etc.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your project!

klingens said:
You always use compression when movie editing. a uncompressed PAL movie with the lenght of a second is ~23,5MB in size. THat's 1.4 GB per minute.

Have you tried mpeg2 for editing? And from what format/source do you capture?

.... at the moment I capture into uncompressed avi files. Yes, they are 1.4gig a min...

I am capturing off a DV cam, I just can't figure out how to get Premier Pro to capture to a format other then uncompressed. I use a firewire port to capture the video, and yes, the laptop has one of them.

I don't want/need to capture from a capture card, tried that once, got bored of trying to get it to work after 6 hours, cheap crap gets no where fast.

Thanks for your help so far. But can anyone name a program like premier pro that is happy to edit in divx? I'll have to give mpeg2 a bash, I didn't have any luck with it with the video capture card in my old P3, maybe it will work better with firewire and a Centrino Duo...

I have an older version of the ulead that came with my DV camera and it doesn't do all the stuff that the new one does, it mainly just adds music, titles, screen fades and all the generic regular old stuff, but the ONE thing it does that I REALLY like, is that it'll capture video on the fly via firewire from the camera and encode it as either mpeg2(DVD), AVI or WMV.

Back