• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First time help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Crazymilk

Hi
Am just about to start my first WC build and need a bit of guidance from your goodselfs. Sorry thay are such noobish questions but we all have to start somewhere;)

1/ I am including i my loop CPU block 2xGPU blocks,pump,res and rad and i just wanted to know the correct sequence to hook them up in.

2/ I am installing the 120mm dual rad to the top of my case as and was wondering the best set up with regards to:
2a/ having the fans under the rad sucking air through
2b/ having the fans on top of the rad sucking air throu etc
3/ Is it best to use artic silver 5 or the ceramic stuff and do you apply it to all the blocks?
4/ I have bought the Fluis XP+ as a coolant and some green uv dye to add to it but do i nedd to add anything else to stop thing grwoing etc?

Again sorry for the silly questions and thanks for your help

Crazymilk said:
Hi
Am just about to start my first WC build and need a bit of guidance
Order does not matter, There will be less than 1/2* difference anywhere in the loop. It is wise to put the rez just before the pump...even better would be to just use a T-line before the pump.

As for fans/rad...some feel that sucking the air through is slightly better. shroud(s) are a must though. As for up/down..you don't want to blow warmmed air into your case, nor do you want to blow hot case air through your rad. mount and install rad/fans accordingly.

AS5 everywhere. As for fluid..5% antifreeze (to prevent corrosion, 10% if there is aluminum in the loop) and 2=3 drops of Iodine (to keep the bugs at bay) are the best.

How about putting your system specs in your sig? And posting what WC parts you will be using. We really have no idea what you are doing. You may get somemore usefull feedback.

Not dumb questions at all I learned what I know from the guys on here. I am running distilled water mixed with 50/50 antifreeze, a little WaterWetter, and a few drops of bleech. This keeps me cool and keeps algae out of the loop. AS stated the order doesnt matter much. Make sure you clamp all the connections with hose clamps. AS5 should be anywhere you have a block with contact. :p

Thanks guys

My current specs are:
FX57
2X XFX GTX 7800
2X 74 RAPTORS IN RAID
2GB CORSAIR XL3500 PRO MEM
ASUS A8N PREMIUM MOBO
ENERMAX 600W PSU
WAVEMASTER CASE

and i will be fitting(somewhere?)
TDX64 CPU BLOCK
DANDER DEN NV78 SLI GPU BLOCKS
D5 PUMP
DUAL 12Omm RAD PLUS FANS
DANGER DEN SINGLE BAY RES
ALL WITH 1/2 TYGON TUBING

Sorry on e more question will i still need all the case fans installed as well, as i said i will be putting the rad/fans on the outside top of the case to save room inside the case so will prob have the fans sucking the air through the rad.

The ideal is having 1 fan push and 1 pull, but most people use a push fan from behind, and that works well. I have a 150 mm 250cfm fan for the "pusher" and I lowered the volts on iit significantly for noise control. I was dual prime95 testing for over 9hrs without any temp issues.

right
Have done a couple of options on my loop and would like some feedback on which would be most effective.

ps sorry my photoshop skills could do with a bit of fine tuning:p

Attachments

• SET UP 1A.JPG
    SET UP 1A.JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 39
  • WC SET UP2A.JPG
    WC SET UP2A.JPG
    35.9 KB · Views: 39
Crazymilk said:
right
Have done a couple of options on my loop and would like some feedback on which would be most effective.

ps sorry my photoshop skills could do with a bit of fine tuning:p

I think loop two is the better one also. You could also consider the following too. You would need a Tee and a way to plug the other side of the reservoir. You get the advantage of the reservoir "feeding" the pump and loose a little tubing. Shorter tubing a big benefit in a watercooling loop.

wc_set_up3.jpg

Loose the rez.

And If there is the slightest chance you will OC, and who doesn't, you also may want to consider a 3 x 120 rad. That system will have a horrendous heat hoad.

Attachments

• wc_set_up4.jpg
    wc_set_up4.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 74
Thanks guys
I think i will go for the second set up but what about if i put a single 120mm rad(installed on the back) in between the cpu and the gpu????

Crazymilk said:
Thanks guys
I think i will go for the second set up but what about if i put a single 120mm rad(installed on the back) in between the cpu and the gpu????

That could work. It will increase the flow resistance but I think the D5 could handle it. You might want to get a second opinion as I am used to AC pumps.

Back