• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSN Messenger Sound Alerts problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

crofty83

Im currently running MSN Messenger 7.5.0324 and everything is fine apart from the sound alerts. There are none.

I've checked the MSN settings and all available check-box's relating to playing sound alerts are selected. I've also checked the sound settings in the control panel. Well I would but for some reason I have a MSN Messenger section, but no options for that specific program.

Any ideas how I can fix this.

P.S. I've tried re-installing it but no joy :(

Without any mention of which OS you're running, I'll assume it's either XP or W2K. Download and save both of the *.txt files I've uploaded, then rename them using a .reg extension. After renaming the files, double click them in order to merge them into your registry...

Attachments

• dingfix.txt
    1.5 KB · Views: 47
  • wm_soundfix.txt
    1.8 KB · Views: 80
Did you reboot after applying the edits? Another thing to check... Start | Run | Type regedit, and click OK | Expand the following branch...

HKEY_CURRENT_USER

Highlight the above key | In the RH pane there should be a String name called (Default) with a Type of REG_SZ, and Value data of (value not set) | If need be modify the String accordingly, or just delete it entirely... Windows will create a new one after you reboot. Just to be clear, DO NOT delete the HKEY_CURRENT_USER key, but instead only delete the Default String name. This is a pic of what the registry entry should look like...

Attachments

• HKEY_CURRENT_USER.jpg
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Back