• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help! Getting Stop 0x0000008E Blue Screen

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bboy

Any help would be appreciated. I've checked MS Knowledge Base and other tech forums. Can't find anything on this. Getting a Stop 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0xF734C8B2, 0xA9BB57C4, 0x00000000) blue screen. Ntfs.sys - Address F734C8B2 base at F734C000, Datestamp 41107eea.

This is happening on random machines. All are XP SP2, Office 2003 SP2. I restart when I get the blue screen, and on some, I never see it again, on others, it stops for about a week or 2, then the blue screen comes back. On other machines, I get the BS every day. On still others, they've never got this BS. All are Dell GX280 desktops except one; which is an IBM. It appears that it happens on those machines that are used infrequently throughout the day and left on the sign-on screen overnight. When I come in in the am, they've BSd. Any ideas? Thanks!

If you can't boot into Windows, boot to the Recovery Console using your XP CD and type chkdsk c: /f (if necessary replace c: with the drive letter that corresponds to your Windows installation) at the prompt. The chkdsk command will scan your disk for errors, and if any are found will repair them as necessary. The following KB article describes the installation and use of the Recovery Console...

HOW TO: Install and Use the Recovery Console in Windows XP (Q307654)

If you can boot into Windows, open the command prompt (Start | Run | Type cmd, and click OK) and type chkdsk /f. You'll then be notified that the volume cannot be locked, and then asked if you'd like to schedule the volume to be checked the next time the system restarts... hit the Y key, exit out of the command prompt and reboot.

Last edited:
There is a tremendous sticky by Captain Newbie right here at good old OC forums on these very errors. I had one of these Stop ERRORS and I came to find out it was my Logitech mouse driver not playing nice with a Mr. Windows Kernel. (seems Logitech Optical mice with forward and backward buttons are not apprecitaed by XP at all)

Do this search: Windows 32: The Whys and Hows of Stop Errors.

Route44 said:
seems Logitech Optical mice with forward and backward buttons are not apprecitaed by XP at all
I've never run into any problems whatsoever w/ Logitech mice and XP... I've used the MX700, MX1000, and MX518 all without incident.

redduc900 said:
I've never run into any problems whatsoever w/ Logitech mice and XP... I've used the MX700, MX1000, and MX518 all without incident.

But I've run into problems and so have a number of other people -- and I have two other logitech mice that don't do this -- but they also don't have the forwards and backwards buttons. Check out the sticky I mentioned and you'll see what I mean. By the way, it might be due to the MX310's driver that hasn't been updated since 2003.

From Windows XP: Shutdown & Restart Troubleshooting website:

Logitech MouseWare 8.6. Windows reboots when shutdown is attempted. The software caused a BSOD with KBDCLASS.SYS. Removing the software solved the BSOD the problem. (Tip from Pablo Cheng.) MouseWare 9.0 and 9.1 also have been linked to reboot-instead-of-shutdown in Win XP. Removing the software resolves the problem. (Tip from Aswin Kindts, Greg Williams, and others)

Last edited:
I had this happen (very similar error message though mine dealt with kern and not ntfs.sys). It ultimately turned out to be a stick of ram intermitantly throwing errors. With ntf.sys, might wanna run full diags on those drives. Worth a check?

Last edited:
Back