• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about file sharing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CorpX

here is what i'm trying to do
i have two internet connections.
networking.jpg

would computer B be able to access internet through both connections? how would this work?

would computer A be able to see the files being shared on computer C?

You need A, B and C all on the same router, with the same subnet, and ideally the same workgroup name for file sharing to work flawlessly. There would be no networking advantage to having 2 internet connections available (aside from possible bandwidth increase from having 2 independent isp services).

If B had two network cards, it's possible to have a passthorugh but I haven't actually done it myself (never a need).

the point of doing this is so that i can run a server/torrent stuff on C without draining the bandwidth on A & B (which are used for gaming)

CorpX said:
the point of doing this is so that i can run a server/torrent stuff on C without draining the bandwidth on A & B (which are used for gaming)

Hmm... seems a little suspicous to me. If you are paying for two internet connections, and you can use both at the same time from your current location, I suggest you drop one of them and save some cash for 1) a faster internet connection and 2) a router that can divy up your bandwidth as needed.

I'll assume that you had DSL and are almost done with your 12 months, but really hate the speed so you recently got cable. There, 2 internet connections.

With that said, what you're asking for is not easy, and will most likely require expensive hardware. The term you will be googling for will be "bandwidth aggregation".

Again, it's really not worth it to bond two net connections together in the manner that you're asking for. Either dump one of the connections and invest in a new router... or dedicate the upstream of one of the net connections to your server and tap its downstream once in a while (but no simultaneous internet connection usage.)

nope, not the case.

i live in an apartment complex and they give us free internet. it's pretty awful with lots of timeouts and you cant play any online multiplayer games on it. we're getting it for free, so might as well use it for something.

the other connection is what we pay for and is actually pretty good. we use it for gaming.

Back