• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Reservoir in loop question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kemon

So i'm building a system that'll go like this.

Pump>rad>cpu>gpu>gpu>back to pump

I want to put a res in and i'm wondering how i do it. Do i put a T in right before the pump so it works like a T line but just with a big res up at the top of the t line? Or do i let it go like this...

Pump>rad>cpu>gpu>gpu and then let it run straight into the res? And then the pump is right on the other side of the res to suck fluid from the res and shoot it through the loop?

The order of components doesn't really matter. At some point after turning on your system your water temperature stabilizes and there's never really a hot and cold zone in your loop...

Lancelot said:
The order of components doesn't really matter. At some point after turning on your system your water temperature stabilizes and there's never really a hot and cold zone in your loop...
True except for the RES, it should ALWAYS be before the pump.

nikhsub1 said:
True except for the RES, it should ALWAYS be before the pump.

I totally agree!

I chose a loop that was more logical for the routing of my hoses:
res outlet->pump->cpu1->cpu2->rad->res inlet

It makes more sense for me to go like this

Res>pump>rad>cpu>gpu>gpu>back to res

I'd want the radiator to cool off the fluid before it goes into the main cpu/gpu loop, and then just let the fluid all end up back in the res.

We're trying to tell you the radiator doesn't 'cool off' the fluid, it can only keep/stabilize all the fluid in your loop at a certain temperature. It seems to make more sense to have the rad before your cpu block but it won't really (only marginal at best) matter...

Lancelot said:
We're trying to tell you the radiator doesn't 'cool off' the fluid, it can only keep/stabilize all the fluid in your loop at a certain temperature. It seems to make more sense to have the rad before your cpu block but it won't really (only marginal at best) matter...
Exactly, listen to Lancelot... The order of rad and blocks MAKES NO DIFFERENCE. Use the routing which will keep bends and tubing length to a minimum, this is far more important than order. Except, RES always right before pump :D

Having the res before the pump lets air bleed out of the water before getting recirculated through the pump and back around the loop, and provides a bit of backup coolant should the coolant levels get low (i.e. the pump usually will have something to pump from the res even if coolant levels get low)

The most important aspect of having the res before the inlet of the pump is that centrifugal pumps do not like to have to 'work' at getting water into the suction side. It is much better to have gravity feeding the inlet. Another issue I have seen are people going pump > res which is just bass ackwards, in that config you are killing your pumps pressure by dumping it into the res as the first point of restriction.

nikhsub1 said:
The most important aspect of having the res before the inlet of the pump is that centrifugal pumps do not like to have to 'work' at getting water into the suction side. It is much better to have gravity feeding the inlet. Another issue I have seen are people going pump > res which is just bass ackwards, in that config you are killing your pumps pressure by dumping it into the res as the first point of restriction.

I totally understand this but for me I couldn't figure out a way of getting a clean install and have the res before the pump. I have it - pump/res/rad/cpu/gpu. According to nTune my temps are cpu-28c and gpu 38c with system 33C. It's around 75 deg in my room. Last nite was pretty cool and it was showing 23C on my cpu.
So right now I'm going to keep my loop this way. Also, I'm not sure if it makes any difference my res is about 18" away from my pump.

Oh ok cool guys thanks!! I got it now... so it doesn't really matter where the radiator is in the loop just. The only thing that truely matters is that the pump doesn't pump into the res... so the res should go just before the pump so the pump can just pull the water out of it.

VballCoach said:
I totally understand this but for me I couldn't figure out a way of getting a clean install and have the res before the pump. I have it - pump/res/rad/cpu/gpu. According to nTune my temps are cpu-28c and gpu 38c with system 33C. It's around 75 deg in my room. Last nite was pretty cool and it was showing 23C on my cpu.
So right now I'm going to keep my loop this way. Also, I'm not sure if it makes any difference my res is about 18" away from my pump.
Very bad routing. I would change that if it took 10 more feet of tubing.

i agree with niksub and others. no matter what, if you are going to use a res, always have it feeding to the pump. Even if it meant more tubing, might as well do it right the first time around.

NoodleHead said:
i agree with niksub and others. no matter what, if you are going to use a res, always have it feeding to the pump. Even if it meant more tubing, might as well do it right the first time around.
unless my temps raise and performance drops, I don't see a reason to change it...even if it isn't conventional. :thup:

VballCoach said:
unless my temps raise and performance drops, I don't see a reason to change it...even if it isn't conventional. :thup:
I hope you have the utmost confidence in your home made res... tis getting the brunt of the pressure from your pump.

Back