• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does Chrome react with copper?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gentleman

Reason I am asking is that I want to chrome plate my copper pipes cause oxidized copper looks ugly. I am concerned with the plating on the inside of the pipe that could react with the copper in the WB due to differences in metal.

i'm also concerned about the whole mixing metals in the loop because i'm using a heatercore, which is probably aluminum or something, obviously not copper in any case, will the copper deteriorate because of this? Do i need to b worrying @_@?

1) Yes Chromium will be electrolytic with copper. If you use an additive that prevents it you should be fine. Or you could just chrome the outside of the pipes, and not the inside.
2) Oxidized Chromium is an uglier green than oxidized copper.
3) #1 applies to Aluminium and copper too. You just need an additive.

Ummm, why do they use copper as a base plating for chrome? Chrome doesn't stick well to plain steel, so they first coat it with copper. It also helps level the surface of the steel for a nice smooth finish, as it's easy to polish.

Aluminum on the other hand is something I would avoid. Anti corrosives such as antifreeze are nice and all, but I find it best to not go there in the first place.
The alternative would be an aluminum waterblock to match the aluminum 'core. Not as good as copper in performance, but not bad.

A few strips of magnesium attached to the copper tubing would slow corrosion btw. Maybe easier than chroming it.

Wait are you using copper pipe instead of tubes? I thought about that but then decided it would be too much of a PITA. Anyway, while I had that thought, I was going to polish up the outside of the copper pipe real nice, get all residue off with thinner, acetone or whatever, then spray the pipe with glossy clear spray paint. This would keep the look of nice shiny copper and it would never tarnish.

sooooo if i use a heatercore w/ the zalman wb2 copper block,i can't just use the swiftech hydrx? don't they have any protections against that?

Captain Helghas said:
1) Yes Chromium will be electrolytic with copper. If you use an additive that prevents it you should be fine. Or you could just chrome the outside of the pipes, and not the inside.
2) Oxidized Chromium is an uglier green than oxidized copper.
3) #1 applies to Aluminium and copper too. You just need an additive.

Isn't chromium oxide clear?

Also, I like the idea of polishing and clear coating the copper....that would be easier than nickle/chrome plating the tubes. Reason I use copper tubes is that it makes routing around the video card easier for me becase of a fan that is on the window right infront of the card. Plus it will be so BLING with chrome in there...

The only time I've dealt with Chromium oxide is when using Sodium dichromate (Jones Reagent) to oxidize borneol to camphor. The chromium comes out as a green goo. I asuumed that was chromium oxide but I might be wrong. I'm going to have to look that up to be sure.

Back