• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

parental control software

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gorilly

one of my customers wants me to install some parental control software,

i've no idea where to start looking, does anyone have eny experience with a decent one?

i've tried the filters built into IE but they are terrible...

personally i dont agree with filters, things always get round them and i think parents need to get kids to respect their rules... but like i said its a customer!

thanks for any advice...

For my 5 and 7 year old I use Parental Filter freeware on their PC.

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/pfilter.html

It works very well, redirecting the browser back to it's home page if it sees any offensive content. It even allows you to specify certain pages that will be unfiltered.

I set their home page as pbskids.org, and tested it by searching for questionable content- each and every time it redirected the browser back to the home page.

It also has the ability to be password protected, so that adults can browse without restriction.

I used netnany for a bit, but then the kids got back into school, and wasn't on their comps enough to worry.

I will try that program itshondo. Looks to be effective.

Thanks.

itshondo said:
For my 5 and 7 year old I use Parental Filter freeware on their PC.

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/pfilter.html

It works very well, redirecting the browser back to it's home page if it sees any offensive content. It even allows you to specify certain pages that will be unfiltered.

I set their home page as pbskids.org, and tested it by searching for questionable content- each and every time it redirected the browser back to the home page.

It also has the ability to be password protected, so that adults can browse without restriction.

thanks for the input guys, i tried that freeware one, it was very good but the GUI was not as userfriendly as i hoped, unfortunatly a lot of my customers are employing me because they have no clue about computers themselves so it needs to be as easy to administer as poss, i ended up getting a copy of netnanny for her...

Last edited:
well i installed netnanny yesterday for the customer and its terrible!!!

firstly it blocks yahoo, google, msn searches.. i told it not to block games but it blocked miniclip, puffgames.

the customer had lots of accounts on the machine for all their 5 kids, each account had to be an administrator account otherwise netnanny would not work due to the timezone settings (net nanny requires you to tell it what time zone you are in, if you are not an administrator you cannot change windows time, netnanny tries to sync the time for you). its really awful...

Last edited:
gorilly said:
i tried that freeware one, it was very good but the GUI was not as userfriendly as i hoped, unfortunatly a lot of my customers are employing me because they have no clue about computers themselves

It isn't user friendly, so they pay you to set it up and monitor it.

And the down side to that is?

$$CHA-CHING$$

Back