• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help with newly completed loop and temps...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HeatM1ser2k4

I completed my loop, and when I boot it says my idle CPU temp is about 90 degrees farenheit.It looks like the DD bay reservoir is not flowing properly.The reservoir has a divider in the middle.One the side where water flow into the reservoir, it appears like a mini-whirlpool effect is going on.It looks like the water is "circling" around on that side of the reservoir, but the other side does not have that "circling" effect.COuld this be why the temps seem high? Also, any suggestion of getting the flow in the reservoir to be consistent on each side?Finally, what would you need from me for you to give me advice on getting the temps to be where they should be?

Thanks!

90F = 32.2C

It depends on your climate, but 32C isn't bad at all. If you live in nothern Canada, it might be a sign that something is wrong, but in Florida (where I live), 32c is fantastic, about 2c below ambient. :p

thats not that hot...thats about 32c
thats all i can answer hahaha
since i hardly know anything about this stuff still =]

edit: poo you answered it already =[[

HeatM1ser2k4 said:
I completed my loop, and when I boot it says my idle CPU temp is about 90 degrees farenheit.It looks like the DD bay reservoir is not flowing properly.The reservoir has a divider in the middle.One the side where water flow into the reservoir, it appears like a mini-whirlpool effect is going on.It looks like the water is "circling" around on that side of the reservoir, but the other side does not have that "circling" effect.COuld this be why the temps seem high? Also, any suggestion of getting the flow in the reservoir to be consistent on each side?Finally, what would you need from me for you to give me advice on getting the temps to be where they should be?

Thanks!
I agree that 32C idle is a safe temp.

The swirling will happen depending on how the water is anlged when it comes into the reservoir. The big question is does the water circulate through the system. If it does then you are ok. I acually once built a reservoir with an angled inlet to get it to swirl.

More info on your specific watercooling components would be useful.

32c is a fantastic temp, and a lot better than I managed with my first WC attempt, which is in the 40s.

HeatM1ser2k4 said:
One the side where water flow into the reservoir, it appears like a mini-whirlpool effect is going on.It looks like the water is "circling" around on that side of the reservoir, but the other side does not have that "circling" effectThanks!
The baffel that separaes the two sides of the rez is there to prevent the vortex (what you call "swirling") from just passing through the air (from bleeding) in the inlet to the outlet.
The vortex is not necessarily bad, unless it passes the air through. Looks like the rez designer did a good job.

I dont thing the whirlpool in the Res would affect cooling at all. Just as long as water is stil being sucked out of the res by the pump. That temp is great for idling (since I fold 24/7 my PC doesnt know what idling is anymore).

Now, the temps are booting after being off all night.I thought that the temps would be lower under those conditions.I'll post my temps under full load playing Far Cry or UT2k4 or running a benchmark.My first temps were a little misleading since it comp was off all night before I turned it on.I'll post full load temps in the nest few days.

32 C is really really good, because where I live, it reaches about 125 F in the summer, I think we just broke triple digits last week or so. Crazy A/C bill, here I come!

OK, I found a kink in the loop, and patched it for the moment.It looks like my mobo isnt reading temps correctly.Even though the temps seemeed high, I was able to overclock the FX55 to about 3100mhz, and my 7900GT to 438x1133mhz. The rpoblem is that when I run a benchmark, the benchmark doesnt run.When I turn down my GPU OC, it runs.I dont understand because coolbits found the optimal overclock.Any advice?

Also, is Tygon or silicon, or clearflex the best? I need to get pretty good tubing to replace my cheapo Home Depot Tubing.Any links would help!

Thanks guys!

HeatM1ser2k4 said:
OK, I found a kink in the loop, and patched it for the moment.It looks like my mobo isnt reading temps correctly.Even though the temps seemeed high, I was able to overclock the FX55 to about 3100mhz, and my 7900GT to 438x1133mhz. The rpoblem is that when I run a benchmark, the benchmark doesnt run.When I turn down my GPU OC, it runs.I dont understand because coolbits found the optimal overclock.Any advice?

Also, is Tygon or silicon, or clearflex the best? I need to get pretty good tubing to replace my cheapo Home Depot Tubing.Any links would help!

Thanks guys!

I have used the Home Depot stuff a lot and it works just fine. If you get Smartcoils you can bend the standard vinyl much tighjter than even tygon. So I would recommend Home Depot vinyl with Smartcoils over the outside. It's like $5 for 40" of smartcoils.

Linkage

Last edited:
Owenator said:
I have used the Home Depot stuff a lot and it works just fine. If you get Smartcoils you can bend the standard vinyl much tighjter than even tygon. So I would recommend Home Depot vinyl with Smartcoils over the outside. It's like $5 for 40" of smartcoils.

Linkage
They look kinda flimsy. Can anyone else confirm that this would work as well, or better than Silicone or Tygon tubing?

Owenator..thanks for the reply! I'm so new to water-cooling, that I can use all the feedback I can get :)

HeatM1ser2k4 said:
They look kinda flimsy. Can anyone else confirm that this would work as well, or better than Silicone or Tygon tubing?

Owenator..thanks for the reply! I'm so new to water-cooling, that I can use all the feedback I can get :)
Geesh! You ask for feeback and then you second guess it! :p

I have them on my system. They work fine. See the bottom of the page. Link They are pretty tough. I had to use wire snippers to cut it.

Owenator said:
Geesh! You ask for feeback and then you second guess it! :p

I have them on my system. They work fine. See the bottom of the page. Link They are pretty tough. I had to use wire snippers to cut it.
Oh, I didnt mean to offend.I am just new to water cooling.I know there are people that prefer Intel vs Amd, or Nvidia vs Ati....I just wanted as much feedback as possible.I would hate to buy something, and later find out that there were other options that I didnt realize.I didnt mean to offend...just wanted to learn as much as possible so I can make an informed purchase.i really do appreciate your input! Do you know if they make these coils in UV Green?

HeatM1ser2k4 said:
Oh, I didnt mean to offend.I am just new to water cooling.I know there are people that prefer Intel vs Amd, or Nvidia vs Ati....I just wanted as much feedback as possible.I would hate to buy something, and later find out that there were other options that I didnt realize.I didnt mean to offend...just wanted to learn as much as possible so I can make an informed purchase.i really do appreciate your input! Do you know if they make these coils in UV Green?
No problem. I was not offended just giving you a hard time, which I probrbly shouldn't do anyway, sorry. :)

I've only seen them UV blue, but Danger den has UV green tubing that you might like. Link

The main reason why I really havent considered them as a viable solution is because I wanted to keep the case looking simple inside.Right now it will be cluttered with stray cables, and I was hopng to solve my WC loop problem without adding something else that might make it look cluttered inside the case.I figured if I use plain tubing, it will look cleaner and less distracting.

So, where is the best place to buy tubing, and is there any real benefit to Tygon, Silicone, or Clearflex tubing? I just want the tubing that offers the best elasticity at the best price.

HeatM1ser2k4 said:
So, where is the best place to buy tubing, and is there any real benefit to Tygon, Silicone, or Clearflex tubing? I just want the tubing that offers the best elasticity at the best price.

If that's the case, your best bet would be for Clearflex 60 for 3/8 or 1/2" applications... for 1/2", you could always use MasterKleer 7/16" for tubing. Buying the 7/16" MasterKleer from McMaster-Carr is dirt cheap (i believe $.37/ft).

Back