• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

controlling which processes boot with windows?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Skeith

In XP pro, how would I go about choosing which resourses services and processes boot with my machine? When I boot windows I end up with like 42 running processes, when normaly I sould have around 36. I used to know how to do this but I completely forgot. The only thing I remember is the startup menu in the start bar :p

Check out start->run and try msconfig and services.msc. They let you control what starts at boot and what is running.

Skeith said:
In XP pro, how would I go about choosing which resourses services and processes boot with my machine? When I boot windows I end up with like 42 running processes, when normaly I sould have around 36. I used to know how to do this but I completely forgot. The only thing I remember is the startup menu in the start bar :p
Here ya go, BlackViper's list http://www.majorgeeks.com/page.php?id=12

Why is it that you want to strip XP? If it's to get better OC's, why not install a second copy and strip it.

Here's a batch i made from BlackViper's list and some othe stuff. Just change net stop to net start to set things back to normal:
=======================================
Net stop "Alerter"
Net stop "Application Layer Gateway Service"
Net stop "Auto Updates"
Net stop "Background Intelligent Transfer Service"
Net stop "ClipBook"
Net stop "COM+ Event System"
Net stop "COM+ System Application"
Net stop "Computer Browser"
Net stop "Distributed Link Tracking Client"
Net stop "Distributed Transaction Coordinator"
Net stop "DNS Client"
Net stop "Error Reporting Service"
Net stop "Help and Support"
Net stop "IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service"
Net stop "Indexing Service"
Net stop "Internet Connection Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing"
Net stop "IPSEC Services"
Net stop "Logical Disk Manager"
Net stop "Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service"
Net stop "Messenger"
Net stop "MS Software Shadow Copy Provider"
Net stop "Net Login"
Net stop "Network DDE"
Net stop "Network DDE DSDM"
Net stop "Network Location Awareness (NLA)"
Net stop "NT LM Security Support Provider"
Net stop "Performance Logs and Alerts"
Net stop "QoS RSVP"
Net stop "Remote Desktop Help Session Manager"
Net stop "Remote Registry Service"
Net stop "Removable Storage"
Net stop "Routing and Remote Access"
Net stop "Secondary Logon"
Net stop "Security Accounts Manager"
Net stop "Shell Hardware Detection"
Net stop "Smart Card"
Net stop "Smart Card Helper"
Net stop "System Event Notification"
Net stop "System Restore Service"
Net stop "Task Scheduler"
Net stop "TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper Service"
Net stop "Telnet"
Net stop "Terminal Services"
Net stop "Themes"
Net stop "Uninterruptible Power Supply"
Net stop "Upload Manager"
Net stop "WebClient"
Net stop "Windows Time"
===========================================
Is this batch file dangerous to use?...Hell yes!
As usual, I take NO responsibility for this process, Assume that it will cause smoke to come out of your computer and kill your mother and take appropriate precautions. DO NOT contact me about fixing ANY problems this process causes. If you even ATTEMPT to contact me, I will flame you unmercifully on every forum on which you post. Use at your own risk. If you do not know, for sure, what you are doing, DO NOT use this process.

Last edited:
Most of the services above I have disabled or set to manual here's the latest version of black vipers webpage saved before it went down. It includes the information about each service most of what Service Pack 2 adds is also covered.

With editing the services I boot-up and I have 26 running that's including the services Norton Internet Security 2006 runs and Diskeeper 9 Pro.

Last edited:
Yeah I have diskeeper 9 and AVG, but whats realy anoyinh me is acrobat pro has like 5 sevices running. Ill take a look into what you guys suggested.
thanks.

I usually keep services turned off until I have need for them. Most the time I only have 18 running at a given time. If I am doing a task, then more will be running.

Unless I am concerned about RAM usage, I don't mind services running. I just try and manage them.

There is a few common things I do not run since they are only needed maybe once a week or abouts. DkService.exe, Workstation (home) networking and server, the only one I turn on once a month or sometime more is automatic update. Since I only hit MS around the 2nd Tuesday of every month. It all really depends what your machine is used for in how many Services to expect to be running at a given time. Since I am flexable in the config of my machine. I tend to adapt it to the current need. So I really don't concern myself with services.. I just manage them as I have need.

I would suggest not disabling any reporting features with the logs. It can be a good thing if you need to browse the error reports for an issue. I turned mine off some time ago, and then reinstated it. I was looking for an error and could not access what went wrong. YMMV

I have my print spooler on manual and start when needed printing I hardly ever seem to do as of late. The event log I always keep on like you said and I agree it's a good thing to have when finding whats wrong with your system. I also have Help & Support set to manual to co-exist with Event log so if I need to go to microsoft.com

It'll load then shut it's self off after 30 secs when not in use.

Once you know what you need in the services. It is all pie and chips after that.

I myself have not installed my printer in ages. I chose to leave the service installed but inactive for a while now. Since I may need it one day.

Reading which each service does what for you. Will greatly enhance managing what you need and not worry that there is 12 or even 50 services running. Then you know that you can work it to your needs and requirements.

The reason there is no "all in one" place to manniplute services, is that each machine has unique needs. So all you will get is a general idea of what is what. The downright idea of it is simple though. Each one controls one or more thing running. Once you know what a new installs calls to, you will understand your own needs as an admin of your machine. I took a long time understanding the NTY way of thinking and one day it all came together. Even now I still research new things when new things appear in the task/services manager. Adapting your machine is always a good thing.

With the registry and services.msc I can do alot of good basic control over my enviroment in a short amount of time. Back in the 2k days, most of the hax were misconfigured services. It still carries over and most get parinoid of having crap running of what they have no clue what it does.

For an exercise:

Look up services.exe See how many falsely claim it is a virus without really knowing how to look for the potential of the service. :D

AngelfireUk83 said:
With editing the services I boot-up and I have 26 running that's including the services Norton Internet Security 2006 runs and Diskeeper 9 Pro.
That's why I suggested a second XP install. No internet, no network, no anti-virus, no defrag, no....you get the idea. All that stuff you need for day to day you can do away with.

Back