• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do you bleed a loop?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kemon

So i'm going to be ordering all of my stuff soon and i want to learn how to bleed the whole system... what's the process?

Oh i have a res too so that should make it easier i think.

save yourself some trouble and set it up so that the res is the higest point in the system, that way air will natually collect in the res and you can top it off w/ more fluid.

Putting the res at the highest point in the loop is the best way to go as air naturally rises to the top, but if that is not practical, a res will work anywhere in the loop you put it, just not quite as fast.

Kemon said:
So i'm going to be ordering all of my stuff soon and i want to learn how to bleed the whole system... what's the process?

Oh i have a res too so that should make it easier i think.
Since no one answered your question...you just run your system. It can be done during leak testing, or with the final installation. It will take from minutes to days depending on your loop.

So i guess it's possible to put the res up at the top and then once i get all the air out i can move my res down to the bottom of the case (since i think that's where i want to mount it). Or would it just be better to keep the res up at the high point all the time?

billb said:
Since no one answered your question...you just run your system. It can be done during leak testing, or with the final installation. It will take from minutes to days depending on your loop.

also tilt the case side to side to get "ALL" air out of the loop

Would having a T connection loop also be useful? Having the T connection at the highest point, so all the air would go up and possibly go out of the system?

NeoSpawn said:
Would having a T connection loop also be useful? Having the T connection at the highest point, so all the air would go up and possibly go out of the system?

That's the way I did it, but it still took a couple days to bleed all the air.

oonce you have researched and perchased all your equipment and you understand how it works . you then lay it out in the order you will install it in the case.
then you fill and bleed the system once and run it OUTSIDE of the case to make sure everything is ok.

if your case is easy to use and your setup is convienient you can install it without disassembling it at all. this is good because while you are testing it the first time tilting it all around so all the air is out is important and that is hard to do in the case.

I set up my loop outside my case and then stuck it in after that. then the filling and bleeding was really easy

NODES said:
also tilt the case side to side to get "ALL" air out of the loop

I haven't had to do that, and my loop fully bled in around 3-4 days with me tee-line at the bottom of the loop.

SolidxSnake said:
I haven't had to do that, and my loop fully bled in around 3-4 days with me tee-line at the bottom of the loop.
It's not always necessary, but it sure can help get pockets of trapped air free inside a radiator.

thorilan said:
oonce you have researched and perchased all your equipment and you understand how it works . you then lay it out in the order you will install it in the case.
then you fill and bleed the system once and run it OUTSIDE of the case to make sure everything is ok.

if your case is easy to use and your setup is convienient you can install it without disassembling it at all. this is good because while you are testing it the first time tilting it all around so all the air is out is important and that is hard to do in the case.

I have a t-line right before the inlet of my D5 and this is the way I did/do it. A lot of people say that this may cause problems, but I hook it all up out side of the case and then I hook the pump up to an extra PSU I have (some crap Compaq salvage) and begin to fill the loop, making sure not to run the pump dry. Once the loop is full I stop adding liquid and then I let it run for a day and I shake/tilt the rad every now and then to get all of the air out. It usually takes about a day.

Ok
I am going to have to dismantle my loop once i have leak tested it outside the case because of the way i a mounting my Rad.

So..
when i fill up the loop(when its installed in my case) with fluid by pouring in to the single bay Res i have, do i fill the res right to the top and keep topping up as the fluid starts to get pumped round the loop?
or
do i not quite fill it up so the trapped air has somewhere to go? Also do you have to let what blocked air has acumilated(/)in the res out by every now and then by unscrewing the cap on the res??

Thanks

If you have to dismantle the loop to put it back into the case, your leak test was pretty much wasted and you have to do it again.

When filling the res, first worry that the pump has an ample supply of water. When it looks like the entire loop is flowing, I fill the res about 3/4 making sure that the outlet of the res to the pump is not sucking air. After a couple of minutes of running, most of the air should be gone. I fill the res the rest of the way up and just let it run for awhile. I usually top it off after a day and just seal it up.

Back