• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Error During Windows XP Startup .. Services.exe

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

yo4444

I just upgraded my wifes PC with the Semperon 3100 bundle from outpost. Went from NF2 to NF3 mobo. No problems, windows booted fine and installed new drivers for the new chipset. Rebooted a couple of times while updating drivers and things no problems. Just uninstalled ASUS Probe and rebooted to get this error upon completion of the last boot followed by a black screen when "OK" was hit :
services.exe- Unable To Locate Component

This application has failed to start because MSVCP60.dll was not found. Re-installing this application may fix this problem.

After you hit the OK button, the screen stays black, no OS logon screen.

I have lost the CD for this OS and the Key to go with it. It IS legit, as I had to re-activate after the hardware changes and that was fine. As a result, I don't think I can repair-install without the key. Is there a way to get this file in there without re-installing or getting into windows?

Boot to Safe Mode (hit F8 on restart) and repair the system files... Start | Run | Type sfc /scannow, and click OK.

I can't get inot safe mode either. Gets to the point where you see "safe mode" in all 4 corners, then same error and problem.

I will try a ckeckdisk. Did a fixboot and fixmbr. Don't know why I didn't even think of a chkdsk... just brain farted I guess.

I have lost the CD for this OS and the Key to go with it.
You were obviously able to boot to the Recovery Console using a XP CD, in order to have run the fixboot, fixmbr, and chkdsk commands... so since you can access the console, try performing a repair install of the OS.

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Last edited:
If I perform a repair install with the OEM cd that I have I will need to enter the cd key for it and that disk /key is for my primary pc. My wifes CD, as I already told you, was lost during my last move, or is in storage somewhere, inaccessable.

I missed that part in your original post... sorry for the poor advice. I know you mentioned that Safe Mode is inaccessible, but "Safe Mode with a command prompt" might not be. If it is accessible you could try running the System Restore tool from the prompt, just so as to have access to the GUI in which to run sfc /scannow from the command prompt (Start | Run | Type cmd, and click OK). Boot to the Advanced Options menu (by hitting the F8 key directly after POST), and select to boot to "Safe Mode with a command prompt". Log on to the computer with an administrator account, or with an account that has administrative credentials. Type the following command at the command prompt, and then press ENTER:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

...then just follow the instructions that appear on the screen.

Ty for the updated advice and please accept my apologies for being short in my last post. I had just finished speaking with Comcast customer service, and as you may know, that can make someone very unhappy.

I tried the Safe mode with cmd prompt, and it is a no go. Same error at the same time, and then a freeze. Well, not so much as a freeze, I can still move the mouse. But I get no response at all, just a blank screen. Alt,CTRL DEL does not work either.

About the only other thing I can think of trying is again booting to the Advanced Options menu and selecting "Last Known Good Configuration"... at least to get you into the GUI.

What about trying to fix it manually?

Looks like you can get the file here:http://www.2dll.com/show.php?dll=msvcp60.dll

(FYI-I don't know anything about the source so you do so at your own risk. Perhaps also try download.com).

Anyway, it's small enough to fit on a floppy. If you have a floppy drive, you could try booting up the comp with a win 98 bootdisk and copying the file into the c:\windows\system32 directory. This might only work if the file system is FAT32.

What service pack are you running?

Last edited:
Sp2 and it is NTFS

I did eventually get a cmd prompt, typed in the %systemroot%/etc. and nothing happened.. later I came back to find a message saying "system restore was unable to protect your system. please restart your computer and run system restore again" or something close to that, which I did, and same error.

Last edited:
How do I go about fixing it with that?
Do I create the boot disk and insert the file? Where do I insert it and how?

I tried DLing that file from the link and it doesn't work. I have the command prompt open and am trying to decipher how to copy a file to the disk... doen't seem to difficult, but I have no idea where I should put it.

Last edited:
yo4444 said:
How do I go about fixing it with that?
Do I create the boot disk and insert the file? Where do I insert it and how?

Ok, try download.com or google the dll. Some of those sites want you to buy stuff, others you should be able to just get the file.

If you're already at a C: prompt, skip the yellow italicized steps below.

Create the boot disk. Then check to see how much space is left. I think the .dll was about 440k. You could just dump it on the same disc if it'll fit. If not, it should be ok to put it on another floppy and just swap them out when you are ready to copy.

I haven't had to do this on an xp rig yet (win 98 and DOS many times). Boot up the comp and the boot disc should bring you to a command prompt (A: if that's your floppy drive)

At your A: prompt type C: This should switch you over to the root directory of your HDD.

Then from the C: prompt, type cd\windows\system32 This will take you to the destination directory for the missing .dll. Your command prompt will also read as C:\windows\system32

Then type copy A:MSVCP60.dll This copies the specified file to the destination directory.

You can also use the copy command to specify both the origin and destination directories if you want. I have over the years just found it's easier to go right to the destination directory (windows\system32 in this case) and just grab the file.

Last edited:
Ok.. i found the dll elsewhere and have it on a floppy in the pc with the cmd prompt... Where do I go now..lol

EDIT: just saw that you replied.. I'm reading your reply now...

My prompt is C:\documents and settings\dan
That is my root?

NVM.. followig directions

SUCCESS!!!!!

Thank you guys sooooo much for all the help. I thought this one was gonna be a gonner.

Last edited:
yo4444 said:
My prompt is C:\documents and settings\dan
That is my root?

Nope. Technically, C: is your root

From where you're at, type cd\windows\system 32

Then hit enter. Then use the copy command as described above.

Back