• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how to I load an .exe file from DOS before Windows XP boots up?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

angrysquirrel

Registered
Hello folks,

I'm trying to load a file that re-initializes my Leadtek winfast TV tuner card before XP loads up. The name of the file is TV2KPROM.exe. I want to be able to load this first in DOS and then have XP load up. I have not been able to figure a way to successfuly do this. Can anyone help me?

Thanks!

Squirrel

I'm not sure if you can still use something like autoexec.bat to run exe files on startup.... may be worthwhile looking into?

I tried adding the command into autoexec.nt and also autoexec.bat. (through start/run msconfig). No dice. I copied the .exe into my c:\ location and also into C:\windows\system32. There's got to be a way to do this...

There is no DOS anywhere with XP, no real mode, even DOS boxes are strictly VM86 mode

Especially not for programs which directly access hardware: XP can't allow that. All there is, is a a time at bootup when most system files on disk aren't locked (pagefile.sys for example) which is before the GUI is loaded. THe chkdsk on bootup for example is run there.

It's a registry key which determines if something should be run then

angrysquirrel said:
The name of the file is TV2KPROM.exe.

Gad! That sounds familiar. I'm assuming you're having problems getting those drivers to install and you're getting "video capture not found" or some such.

Worst...drivers...ever. Must have tried re-installing six times.

If this is what's happening, try moving the capture card to a different PCI slot and try re-installing the drivers off the disc again. I don't know *why* this worked for me, it just did. It now reminds me every time I use it that I need DX 8.1 or higher installed for some idiotic reason, but it works.

I tried every stunt for manually installing the drivers, running the exe...nothing worked.

Life is short. The next time I decide to re-format, that card goes in the garbage.

Back