• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Reformat Woes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CalsonicGTR

I want to reformat my system, but Windows is just not cooperating. Upon being prompted topress any key to boot from CD, the screen goes black with the flashing underscore in the upper left corner. Every so often it gets past this point but stops with an Code 7 error (ACPI). The system doesnt even recognize my old copy of 2KPro. Right now I am down to CPU, RAM, VC, 1 HD and the DVDRW drive. I plan on taking everything out of the case tomorrow and giving that a go. The CD is a bit scratched up, which may or may not be contributing to this problem. Any other things I should be looking at?

I am almost positive it is the cd. You know it is scratched and you are still trying hardware fixes??????? Basic troubleshooting means you should find another cd and try it before you spend hours looking for other causes when you have a very likely one staring you in the face!

Unfortunately, the CD is not a problem. I tried the CD in my laptop and it works perfectly every time. Probably should have mentioned that earlier :)

CalsonicGTR said:
Unfortunately, the CD is not a problem. I tried the CD in my laptop and it works perfectly every time. Probably should have mentioned that earlier :)

That does not mean much considering the drive in your computer could have problems reading it wheras the drive in the laptop might not have problems readin it. Try a different disk!

If you do want to try something then low level format the drive then try to install or even try a different cd drive when installing.

Back