• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

changing file permissions issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ThePunkGeek

I setup apache for windows for some testing purposes and have php installed with it. I'm trying to run a php script but need to set config.php to chmod 777

I first tried changing the permissions using cuteftp but it doesn't allow me to

I then installed unixdos and tried chmod +r +w +x filename and r has no problems of course but i get denied with write/execute. If someone knows what i'm doing wrong or what i'm missing it would be much appreciated

also i hope i posted this in the correct section if not my apologies.

thanks alot

redduc900 said:
You might want to PM a mod about having this moved to the Alternative OS forum.

Well its still windows i was thinking between here or applications and software? Thanks for the sugestion.

thanks for the reply, i believe my problem to be that windows isn't allowing me to give write or execute permission to the file. I've tried the most common way of chmod in windows (using an ftp program) which failed then i tried using unixdos which give the most common commands of unix for us to use in the windows command prompt (such as chmod) windows rejected me both ways when trying to add the write/execute permissions to it. Also i am the administrator of the system so it shouldn't be a lack of permissions for my account, and the ftp was setup for me to have 777 permissions so i am lost as to why i'm unable to change the permissions.

thanks again

The question is: why do you need to change perms? Can't the apache process read/write that file? If it can, then everything is alright, if not, disable simple file sharing and set it to writable for everyone.

What php script is this with those problems?

By default the Apache service on Windows runs as the LocalSystem account. This account has full access to the local system, it shouldn't need permissions set for it. Do you have Apache set up like this or did you configure the service to run as a different user?

you cant chmod in windows... no such thing but you can set user permissions for the file

right click on file or folder > properties > security > then change the user for apache to have full access over the folder or what not....

I dont have expierence with Apache but i had the same prob with IIS....

Back