• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1 Case + 2 loops = Crazy talk?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Captain Helghas

I picked up this mosfet wb from Ranger at a very good price. (Thanks again buddy) However, it's an aluminum block with my all copper loop. Here's my question, should I invest in a second loop to run aluminum blocks? Or should I just accept the corrosion factor and pray?

Once my mobo returns from RMA (June 6th, can't wait) my loop should look like this:
BIP II (Thanks Prankster)
modded MCW350 (Prankster again)
Apogee
MCW30
DD Maze 4 (Thanks Jiggaman)
P5 MOSFET (Thanks Ranger)

Let me know what you think. I'm not sure what kind of temps to expect with this.

lol do u really needa cool the mosfets? does it limit ur overclocks or something? sounds a bit excessive.

bumsquad said:
lol do u really needa cool the mosfets? does it limit ur overclocks or something? sounds a bit excessive.
Of course its excessive, I think watercooling itself is a bit excessive...
I would run 1 loop, having a second loop with 1 component would be silly. Unless you had some HDD coolers or something. 25% antifreeze and regularly changed coolant will keep you safe.

Just my opinion.

citronym said:
Of course its excessive, I think watercooling itself is a bit excessive...
I would run 1 loop, having a second loop with 1 component would be silly. Unless you had some HDD coolers or something. 25% antifreeze and regularly changed coolant will keep you safe.

Just my opinion.

My thoughts exactly. Having one loop is just silly, so I would HAVE to get something else to cool with the loop. I don't like the idea of HDD coolers though. That's just vain. I would have to find something else. Suggestions?

I bought HydreX, but it's got Ethylene Glycol in it, and I love my dog more than my rig. Instead I'm concocting some ammonium azide in the lab, which will definately keep the algae out, with a less than LD50 dose. However, my other option is to check out this blue dye I'm getting from Jiggaman. Regularly changed coolant? I specifically bought the MCRES-MICRO because I don't want to worry about the amount of coolant.

Cooling the MOSFET on the P5WD2-E reduces the Vripple on the core. With proth's Vdroop mod, Vdimm mod, and now MOSFET WC, I hope to get to 333 FSB on stock voltage.

I run two loops. 1 for the CPU and one for the NB andGPU. It has worked rather well for me. But a whole new loop for your mosfets seems like a little much. There could be some additive you could put in the water so the Al and the Cu don't mess with each other.

learning curve said:
add a couple or memory waterblocks to your moset loop. like these http://www.xoxide.com/koolance-ram-30-v06.html
Thanks for the input. I'm not too much a fan of the price there.

I thought of using a Y adapter and a flow regulator to separate the two loops but still have the same pump & radiator. Such as:
Copper blocks
Res-Pump< >rad-res
Aluminum blocks

I don't think this will work, as there will be some small amount of Cu+ ions in soln which will cause the electrolytic corrosion of the Al block. At least in this format, the Cu+ is not flowing directly to the aluminum, but rather through the res first, diluting the [Cu+]. For anyone that is curious, the flow regulator would prevent an excessive flow rate given to one aluminum block, where the other copper blocks (the important crap) would suffer.

I suggest regularly changed coolant because I feel this is a preventative step to preventing corrosion. If you are going non toxic, you will obviously need to find an anti-corrosive other than glycol.

Looking through the manual for the res, it's warrenty on ly protects against ethylene glycol. I was thinking of using about 10% ethanol, but that's out for the res. Looks like HydrX is going to be it.

Back