• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Running windows Vista question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

acompdude

Ok is there anything that I need to know beforeI try to install the Vista Beta on my computer. Like drivers and such. You can look in my sig and see my system info.

Also, does anyone know where to find Vista drivers?

if this is your main PC, and you aren't going to dual boot, then don't do it. Drivers often don't exist, and are slow and buggy for a lot of hardware when they do, and it isn't very good as an OS anyway.

It will be set up in a dual boot formay. I am not switching to it completely because some of the games and other programs I use a lot are not fully compatible with it.

Thanks for your help guys.

Well let me eat those words now. I just finished installing the beta 2 and I dont have any of the problems that I had before. I guess Microsoft fixed it. I'm really liking it and I dont understand why so many people here hate it. I know it is a little bit of a resource hog, but I still like it. I will probebly be using it more than xp now.

People despised XP when it came out and refused to make the switch to XP because of its weird looking bluish look among other things. Now mostly everyone uses XP. Basically, people don't like change (it's human nature). Eventually, most people will be using Vista just like how the 2k > xp transition developed.

Yeah but most XP power users have gotten rid of the blueish thing, and so to them it is just 2000 updated and with a few minor added features. I will probably end up running vista similarly, most of what I object to will probably be removable when nlite gets around to supporting it.

From my experiences, many people removed the XP ui during their intiial transition from 2K > XP. Most power users ended up over time getting used to the XP ui and now love it. This happened to me as well. It seems that it's mostly just getting used to a new UI. As I said, people aren't used to change, it's normal. When I did the transition, I hated XP default UI and made it look like 2k. Now I love the XP ui. Like I said, it's mostly just getting used to. There are of course, a handful of people who still just love the 2k ui and will continue using it.

Funny enough the only people I see running Luna are the ones who buy their PCs at Dell or BestBuy and ask me when they got malware trouble. Those are people who don't even know how to change the UI or that you can change it.

Then there are those who use a XP theme but a different one than Luna. Usually teenagers/kids. Silver is very popular there. And if they're really "power", they install stylexp (rarely uxthemepatcher when they told about it) and use a totally different theme.

And then of course the exots who run LS, geoshell, sharpe or bb4win

klingens said:
Funny enough the only people I see running Luna are the ones who buy their PCs at Dell or BestBuy and ask me when they got malware trouble. Those are people who don't even know how to change the UI or that you can change it.

Then there are those who use a XP theme but a different one than Luna. Usually teenagers/kids. Silver is very popular there. And if they're really "power", they install stylexp (rarely uxthemepatcher when they told about it) and use a totally different theme.

And then of course the exots who run LS, geoshell, sharpe or bb4win
i use black theme for xp :) but i didnt use any programs to install it just put it in my themes folder :)

untitled6fv.jpg

Then you must have either patched uxtheme yourself (either post install or nlite) or you are running a hacked install of windows.

roYal said:
From my experiences, many people removed the XP ui during their intiial transition from 2K > XP. Most power users ended up over time getting used to the XP ui and now love it. This happened to me as well. It seems that it's mostly just getting used to a new UI. As I said, people aren't used to change, it's normal. When I did the transition, I hated XP default UI and made it look like 2k. Now I love the XP ui. Like I said, it's mostly just getting used to. There are of course, a handful of people who still just love the 2k ui and will continue using it.

IMHO for the power user there is no reason whatsoever to run luna, it just uses up extra resources, slowing down the computer without improving the user experience. I have played about with custom UIs, but the windows classic one is pretty fast and does everything I need without too much fiddly configuration.

I know ATI, and Sound blaster have Vista drivers, and the XP drivers for my motherboard all worked fine. (Beta 2)

Back