• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do I tell if Win 2000/Win 200 Pro is installed on PC?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kelly Keyboard

Registered
Hey guys,

I'm helping fix my friends PC (getting rid of spyware and cleaning it up etc.)

Anyway Win 2k came pre-installed on his Dell (old P3) and I want to find out whether its 2k Pro or just 2k. (he never got any recovery discs or anything)

on startup of PC the windows boot screen says win 2k pro and in the recovery option on the hidden partition on his HDD it says win 2k pro but when u right click my computer and go to propterties it just says wn 2000 SP4

when you double click my computer or windows explorer and then go to help>about windows it just saus windows 2000.

so how do i find out for sure whether he has win 2000 or win 2000 pro installed and how can i confirm it 100%

can anyone with win 2000 pro installations please check on their PCs or sumthing to check for me (would be much appreciated :))

cheers :)

KellyK

Where you might be getting confused is with SP4. The Service Packs are the only actual variable(except for Server, as KK mentioned)

If you ever need to tell what OS version you're using, such as if you go to a store and want to know if it's XP home or XP pro, you can just go to Start | Run | type winver and hit ok. A window will pop up giving you information about the Operating system version information. Likewise, you can right click on my computer and choose properties. This will also tell you the OS information.

Back