• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problem Starting XP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ducker

I'm haveing a problem trying to get xp to start back up. It started when my wife was makeing a movie and the computer kept crashing. After rebooting I would just get a black screen. So I rebooted into windows recovery consel and typed fixboot to rebuild the boot record. After rebooting that didn't fix the problem. So I tried fixmbr in the recovery consel. Didn't work either. Any ideas other than reinstalling windows?

Just a shot in the dark, but boot to the Recovery Console and type the following commands hitting ENTER after each...

CD .. (this will take you up one level from C:\Windows> to C:\>)
ATTRIB -H -S -R C:\boot.ini (removes the Hidden, System and Read Only flags from the Boot.ini)
del boot.ini
BOOTCFG /Rebuild (at the "Add installation to boot list" prompt, select N for NO. At the "Enter Load Identifier" prompt", type the name of the OS you have installed... i.e. Microsoft Windows XP Professional. At the "Enter OS Load Options" prompt, type /fastdetect /noexecute=optin
CHKDSK /R /F (checks for and repairs bad sectors and corruption on the root partition)
FIXBOOT (when prompted to write a new bootsector to the partition C:, hit the Y key for YES)
Exit

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. But it's looking bleak. I tried these commands and got these replys from windows:

ATTRIB -H-S-R C:\BOOT.INI
The file cannot be opened.

del boot.ini
An error occurred during enumeration.

BOOTCFG /Rebuild
Error: Failed to successfully scan for Windows installation. This error may be caused by a corrupt file system, which would prevent BootCFG from successfuly scanning. Use chkdsk to detect any disk errors.

chkdsk /r/f
The volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems.

Any other shots? Or is my goose cooked? On the bright side, I do have a backup image (3 weeks old) saved on another partition that I can restore. Thanks.

Boot back to the Recovery Console and type chkdsk /r (without the /f switch this time) at the C:\> prompt.

Didn't work, still that awfull message..."The volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems."

There is the possibilty that you are developing a drive problem. Sometimes you get Windows error messages or difficulties when this happens. I'd suggest that you;
1.Try a new cable for your drive(s).
2. Run the appropriate diagnostic software for your HD. If there is a problem developing, this can perhaps give you a hint.

stool said:
There is the possibilty that you are developing a drive problem. Sometimes you get Windows error messages or difficulties when this happens. I'd suggest that you;
1.Try a new cable for your drive(s).
2. Run the appropriate diagnostic software for your HD. If there is a problem developing, this can perhaps give you a hint.

I gave that a try as well. Still no luck. I even did the extended test from the maxblast cd. Actually this is a new hdd (Maxtor 200gig) that I just did install a little over a month ago. I think I'm probably going to have to go back to the 3 week old restore image. But I would still like to get some files that have just been created about 1 week ago off of the hdd before I do a restore. My wife has scanned all of the old family photos into the affected partition (with windows). Many many hours of work will be lost! I tried to access the partition with a linux live cd (Overclockix) so I could burn them onto a dvd. But I was unable to mount the partition. I'm not very linux literate, so hopefully I can get into the partition if I keep trying. I know this isn't the approate subfourm for this, but any suguestions on how to properly mount a partition in linux?

Back