• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lost Start Menu options

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

whitebloodcell

After installing a Vista transformations pack (Xp theme etc) my start menu items werent appearing correctly, uninstalling didnt seem to fix it. I have a resotre point, how do I access it without the start menu?

Hit Ctrl+Esc and then R, or WinKey+R to bring up the Run box... then type %SystemRoot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe, and click OK. You can also access the System Restore tool from the Safe Mode command prompt. Boot to the Advanced Options menu (by hitting the F8 key directly after POST), and select "Safe Mode with a command prompt" | Log on to your computer with an administrator account, or with an account that has administrative priveleges | Type the following command at the prompt, and then press ENTER...

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

... then just follow the instructions that appear on the screen. You could also boot to Safe Mode and access the Run box the same way I described above, or in the conventional manner... and type the same command to access the Restore tool.

Last edited:
You can also go to start > help and support > and under the Pick a Task list you can see "Undo changes to your computer with System Restore ."

Back