• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vista space req & Gigabyte i-RAM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NightWolf_8800

Hey,

Just a quick question.

How much space does/will a vista install require?? I have a 74gb hdd and im looking at getting Gigabyte i-RAM

When vista comes out will it fit on the Gigabyte i-RAM and how many DIMMS would i need???

The i-RAM has a max capacity of 4gb so 4x1gb dimms???

Will it work? Im going to have 4gb of DDR memory free when i move to skt AM2, and im looking at getting a i-RAM to run XP and then vista if it is possible..?

Thanks,

NW

Will not work for Vista, sorry. The minium require ment says you need atleast 20GB on the drive your installing too. Even when it's installed, 4GB is far from enough.

You can do it with XP, but i don't see the point, as you would need to do some tweaking regarding where programs are installed. You would get Win XP on it, maybe Office as well. Probably about it.. :\

XP would be fine, with a bit of tweaking you can get an XP install down to under 300MB, and with 2GB of RAM you don't need a big swapfile, a fresh tuned XP install should only be using about 100MB of memory. However since a tweaked XP on a 2GB machine will not do much swapping, it would probably do little for general system speed, just improve boot times.

When nlite supports vista it will maybe be possible (nlite currently lets you disable the minimum space requirement of the installer). I would hazard a guess that if you removed all of the crap from vista (like the fancy GUI and all the stupid software for idiot users) it would probably work. However by then you could probably ebay for another iRAM and some dirt cheap PC2100, 8GB would almost certainly be enough for a trimmed down vista.

However wasn't there some talk of a larger capacity device similar to the iRAM, but that was a pci-e 1x card which would actually give something closer to the full bandwidth of the memory. I can't remeber when it was supposed to come out or who is making it though.

4gb of ram can't run vista? Wrong?
Also don't listen to what they say vista does not take no where near 20gb more like 4-7gb ( Forgot )

this is 4GB as an iRAM flash disk, not 4GB of system RAM. As I said with nlite if you took out all the rubbish MS is advertising as features (like the new UI), and unused drivers and language packs you could probably install vista on a 4GB drive.

Nevertheless most potential users on here and other enthusiast forums won't want it for the same reason they don't run the luna theme or have the 2D effects enabled under xp, it may be pretty but getting rid of it will save space and boost performance.

>HyperlogiK< said:
Nevertheless most potential users on here and other enthusiast forums won't want it for the same reason they don't run the luna theme or have the 2D effects enabled under xp, it may be pretty but getting rid of it will save space and boost performance.
Plain 'n simple Windows if you please. I don't like it because I don't sit down at my desktop to have a massive and beautiful visual experience...I sit down at my desktop to move files around, and such. There are applications where Aero will be completely un-needed.

The primary purpose of an OS is to prevent other programs from smashing into one another; while a nice visual experience is all well and good, if it doesn't prevent mid-address-space collisions, I don't want it. :) And if it does prevent 'em, I'll install it.

Well from beta standpoint you need ~ 7-8 gig for the install of windows and 3.4gig for the image file for Vista (its like a huge cab file). If im not mistaken thats how it went. I know its over 10gig for the footprint of Vista on your drive not including the swap file. Its a little bigger due to the 32bit and 64bit programs (since it duplicates some of them) but it is a rather large install. I doubt it would be anything cost effective to get the install onto a Ram Drive of any sort.

I've uninstalled it from my PC and still have reminates sitting on my secondary 250gig drive (oh its bugging me) 4.1gig is sitting there and I can not delete, compress or really move any of it. How annoying.

Captain Newbie said:
Plain 'n simple Windows if you please. I don't like it because I don't sit down at my desktop to have a massive and beautiful visual experience...I sit down at my desktop to move files around, and such. There are applications where Aero will be completely un-needed.

The primary purpose of an OS is to prevent other programs from smashing into one another; while a nice visual experience is all well and good, if it doesn't prevent mid-address-space collisions, I don't want it. :) And if it does prevent 'em, I'll install it.

You can not like nor need it all you want, but it still gets added in. An OS is defined simply as a collection of software. Since most of that software is built over other software, OSes have evolved from simple hardware-management systems to hardware management, application management, user assistance agents, security management, auditing/compliance management, and several layers of SDKs. The bigger the foundation, the more that can be built off of it, in terms of the overall number of applications, the power of said applications, and the speed of developing said applications. That's not to say it comes without risk or other drawbacks, but this is simply the way that market forces drive the development of the OS. Windows would not be where it is today if MS hadn't been out there developing toolkit after toolkit and service after service, then turning around and providing the SDKs, knowledgebase, and high-level development tools to the developers.

As for Aero, let me ask a simple question: When was the last time you used even 20% of your graphics card's rendering capability on the desktop? It's a powerful piece of hardware that gets almost no use. Likewise, the CPU on most machines will spend the vast majority of its life executing NOPs. Afraid Aero will eat up more processor cycles - buy a multi-core machine. Running out of disk space - remind me how much disk space costs per GB again (granted those of us with high-end disk subsystems still pay through the nose, the fact remains I can buy a 76GB 15k drive for what I bought my current 18GB 15k drive for a couple years ago; Vista will consume 10-20% of that space, as Win2k did my 18s)?

Not only that, but understand that UI development has been trapped by the same box for 20 years. We still have this damned desktop metaphor with folders and files and pretty little cursors dancing between windows. 3D interfaces offer so much more power to the users in a more natural manner and Aero is just one of the first steps down that path. Likewise, file-less filesystems are on the horizon and the new system that was supposed to ship with Vista was a step towards that vision.

Sure, if you run a program or a game and don't care if you can manipulate application interfaces in new ways, Aero probably won't matter. If you have a good memory or only deal with a few dozen files, you probably won't need a file-less filesystem that stores all sorts of metadata about documents, allows better content searching and integration. But these are both still tools that many find useful, moreso as they gain exposure.

All told, it's a computer - make it compute.

Snugglebear said:
You can not like nor need it all you want, but it still gets added in.

Which is why so many power users use nilte to take such features back out.

Snugglebear said:
That's not to say it comes without risk or other drawbacks, but this is simply the way that market forces drive the development of the OS. Windows would not be where it is today if MS hadn't been out there developing toolkit after toolkit and service after service, then turning around and providing the SDKs, knowledgebase, and high-level development tools to the developers.

Not true, supposedly more than 2/3 of new feature requests sent to Microsoft are requesting funtionality that windows or office already has. Market forces are not driving home/office pc os development, Microsoft is coming up with new features, some of which are potentially useful, most of which are gimmicks and none of which are absolutely necessary, and then trying to convince both home and business users that they should have them.
In this respect, Microsoft is trying to drive market forces more than market forces are driving Microsoft.

Widespread home adoption of vista will take place for 2 reasons, firstly, every new PC will have a copy of it pre installed, and secondly (to a much lesser extent) people will like the pretty new UI because of how it looks, rather than how it functions.

Snugglebear said:
As for Aero, let me ask a simple question: When was the last time you used even 20% of your graphics card's rendering capability on the desktop? It's a powerful piece of hardware that gets almost no use. Likewise, the CPU on most machines will spend the vast majority of its life executing NOPs. Afraid Aero will eat up more processor cycles - buy a multi-core machine. Running out of disk space - remind me how much disk space costs per GB again (granted those of us with high-end disk subsystems still pay through the nose, the fact remains I can buy a 76GB 15k drive for what I bought my current 18GB 15k drive for a couple years ago; Vista will consume 10-20% of that space, as Win2k did my 18s)?

Most of my graphics card's power goes unused most of the time, but with some recent games like TES: Oblivion, even an X1900XT crossfire setup can't completely max it out. I like to squeeze every last drop of performance from my system when gaming, and having a clunky UI taking up a bunch of memory doesn't help with this. Most of the time it isn't an issue, but when I game it is a very big one indeed, especially considering that I find no use for most of the new features anyway.

>HyperlogiK< said:
However wasn't there some talk of a larger capacity device similar to the iRAM, but that was a pci-e 1x card which would actually give something closer to the full bandwidth of the memory. I can't remeber when it was supposed to come out or who is making it though.

I think this is what your thinking of: www.ddrdrive.com it holds up to 8gb of ddr ram(you have to get it) and is a 1x pci-e card

Snugglebear said:
You can not like nor need it all you want, but it still gets added in. An OS is defined simply as a collection of software. Since most of that software is built over other software, OSes have evolved from simple hardware-management systems to hardware management, application management, user assistance agents, security management, auditing/compliance management, and several layers of SDKs. The bigger the foundation, the more that can be built off of it, in terms of the overall number of applications, the power of said applications, and the speed of developing said applications. That's not to say it comes without risk or other drawbacks, but this is simply the way that market forces drive the development of the OS. Windows would not be where it is today if MS hadn't been out there developing toolkit after toolkit and service after service, then turning around and providing the SDKs, knowledgebase, and high-level development tools to the developers.

Not only that, but understand that UI development has been trapped by the same box for 20 years. We still have this damned desktop metaphor with folders and files and pretty little cursors dancing between windows. 3D interfaces offer so much more power to the users in a more natural manner and Aero is just one of the first steps down that path. Likewise, file-less filesystems are on the horizon and the new system that was supposed to ship with Vista was a step towards that vision.

Sure, if you run a program or a game and don't care if you can manipulate application interfaces in new ways, Aero probably won't matter. If you have a good memory or only deal with a few dozen files, you probably won't need a file-less filesystem that stores all sorts of metadata about documents, allows better content searching and integration. But these are both still tools that many find useful, moreso as they gain exposure.

All told, it's a computer - make it compute.
I'll take my computer science definition of an operating system over yours, thank you. :) An operating system should provide services to application programs that enable pretty 3d graphical point-and-drool stuff, as well as the above-mentioned keeping programs from smashing into one another functions and providing network/security services; it shouldn't necessarily include 3d goodness out of the box (or if it does, it should be a rudimentary 2d point-and-drool system that gets the heck out of my way).

The majority of features added into Windows are mostly useless for 90% to 95% of the people who use it--most power users *included*. Let's face it. What do you use your OS for?

1) File management
2) Security erm, uh....never mind...
3) Network functions

It shouldn't have a web browser, or user interface or media player, etc., irrevocably integrated into it.
Hyperlogik said:
Widespread home adoption of vista will take place for 2 reasons, firstly, every new PC will have a copy of it pre installed, and secondly (to a much lesser extent) people will like the pretty new UI because of how it looks, rather than how it functions.
Yep.

Captain Newbie said:
I'll take my computer science definition of an operating system over yours, thank you. :) An operating system should provide services to application programs that enable pretty 3d graphical point-and-drool stuff, as well as the above-mentioned keeping programs from smashing into one another functions and providing network/security services; it shouldn't necessarily include 3d goodness out of the box (or if it does, it should be a rudimentary 2d point-and-drool system that gets the heck out of my way).

Mine is a computer science definition of an operating system. Ever since the beginning OSes have had two major rolls - make the system function (in this case, "the system" is the hardware) and to support applications software. The first invariably supports the second. Once upon a time that wasn't too involved of a job, as users ran one job at a time, programs didn't need protected memory, etc. Over the years OSes became multitasking, multiuser packages that included more and more functionality and APIs to perform those two rolls. Try to deny it but this is still the same process today, it's just far more complex.

Take directx for example. I recall when it first came out most people simply scratched their heads and wondered. Sure, it was an addon at first, and not a very capable one at that, but it got better. Now, it's an integral piece of the OS providing an API used for most hardware interaction. Aside from updating the library every few months or running dxdiag when something isn't working right, they're not going to think twice about it. They're not going to think much about using Aero, other than it makes the screen pretty and adds a few novel features. Eventually, when MS has Aero dialed in, you'll see more useful features built over the engine (data visualization is a budding field that will catch fire once these types of engines are in place). Until then, yes, Aero is largely a point and drool that MS adds into the OS so Apple doesn't beat them over the head with the OS X interface.

Captain Newbie said:
The majority of features added into Windows are mostly useless for 90% to 95% of the people who use it--most power users *included*. Let's face it. What do you use your OS for?

90% of the people who use an OS never even scratch the surface - the computer is a fancy toaster hooked to a TV. While it may not make toast, at least they know smoke emanating from either is still a bad sign. However, the applications they run most certainly do scratch the surface. Try removing DirectX and see how many things still run, or .NET, or even try turning off RPC on even a standalone computer. They're going to figure out fast that Quicken isn't paying their bills and the dancing hamsters are oddly silent. But then that's the whole idea - all this is hidden from them and honestly should be.

Captain Newbie said:
1) File management
2) Security erm, uh....never mind...
3) Network functions

It shouldn't have a web browser, or user interface or media player, etc., irrevocably integrated into it.

Yep.

As for direct interaction with the OS, yes, you're right. Most people don't touch much outside of manipulating and managing files, scanning for viruses/spyware (ok, if it's a housebroken user), or browsing. Again, most people shouldn't really interact with the OS; you don't want them editing the local security policy or digging through the registry, as bad things tend to happen. What they should interact with is their programs, and those programs interact with all that crap that MS throws in.

>HyperlogiK< said:
Which is why so many power users use nilte to take such features back out.

That's an admittedly risky proposition given the lack of available documentation on application dependencies.

>HyperlogiK< said:
Not true, supposedly more than 2/3 of new feature requests sent to Microsoft are requesting funtionality that windows or office already has. Market forces are not driving home/office pc os development, Microsoft is coming up with new features, some of which are potentially useful, most of which are gimmicks and none of which are absolutely necessary, and then trying to convince both home and business users that they should have them.
In this respect, Microsoft is trying to drive market forces more than market forces are driving Microsoft.

As Captain Newbie pointed out, most users don't scratch the surface as to what the OS is capable of. Granted, many requests likely do not originate from said users, one is still hard pressed to find someone, even a very experienced someone, who has a good breadth of knowledge about every feature in Windows or other modern OSes.

Some examples of MS responding to requests and/or market forces:
* The multitude of scripting possibilities (ActiveX, VBscript, JScript, WSH, ASP, and so on)
* .NET as a consolidation of older APIs
* DirectX as an alternative to OpenGL
* NTFS with auditing to all the IT shops screaming for access controls and access logging
* AD for larger shops who want to simplify the user experience
* Sharepoint services for files
* Shadow copy for files
* Domain management and deployment tools
* The ability to hide inactive taskbar icons

Are any of these really necessary for everyone? Probably not. Are they necessary to a lot of people? Most definitely. Is it a good idea to provide the extras to everybody? Yes, as it makes the product more consistent and allows MS and 3rd party developers to make use of those functions even though the user may be unaware.

The simple reality is that the more features and functionality one adds, the more tools, diagnostics, and functionality one has to add to support it and manage it. This has been true throughout the history of OS development as is still true today. Multitasking dictated more robust scheduling and protected memory. Multiuser and network-centric systems dictated more advanced security controls. The explosion of broadband and viri dictated an integrated firewall and security center. It goes on and on.

>HyperlogiK< said:

The function is very important to users who are past the first computer stage. Most are well aware of how aggrivating problems can be, especially if they aren't experienced enough to fix them. Again, Aero is a foundational engine that is in its infancy. Again, DirectX also sucked in its first couple revisions. Again, Microsoft is compelled to produce something to compete against OS X.

>HyperlogiK< said:
Most of my graphics card's power goes unused most of the time, but with some recent games like TES: Oblivion, even an X1900XT crossfire setup can't completely max it out. I like to squeeze every last drop of performance from my system when gaming, and having a clunky UI taking up a bunch of memory doesn't help with this. Most of the time it isn't an issue, but when I game it is a very big one indeed, especially considering that I find no use for most of the new features anyway.

I don't disagree. However, I will say that with the VM system came the ability of the memory manager to page a clunky UI out when it's not being used.

Yes it is extremely silly. Such a concept may not even really make sense; however, I have not put a significant amount of thought into it. Perhaps you can find a way to suspend the ram to i-ram while the system hibernates to allow for quicker wakeups?

Back