• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Image Creation with Photoshop, Suggest me a starting point

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

z0n3

I have been using image editing programs for years. I have developed very little proficiency however with the higher functions of the programs. I wanted and still do want to learn more about using these programs. Specifically Photoshop (6.0 is what I currently have,I lost the disc so no upgrading for me for a while). I took a class at my local high school (just finished my last year there on Friday with a 3.9) and the class only taught basic things that I already knew how to do. They just taught me the proper terms and names for everything (I use to call Extract the 'Trace tool':rolleyes: ). The course really didn't go outside of basic photo-editing leaving me very disappointed. What I was hoping to learn was how to make my own images from scratch. I'm not that artistic but often I will get an idea that I would really like to make but I just don't know how to use my tools. I see people who make these simply amazing pictures with the same program I have and I get green with envy. What do they know that I don't? Where and how did they learn it?

If anyone can point me out a book or guide to get me started I would really appreciate it. My own attempts have failed me. All I can find are photo-editing books and not image creation.

I like layers magazine. This magazine is devoted to photoshop and other graphic design software. They often will have some great tutorials. There are also some great online tutorials for free. Here is an example of one possibility. http://www.photoshopcafe.com/tutorials.htm. If that is not what your looking for just google photoshop tutorials.

As far as books go I would suggest going to yor local bookstore and looking through what they have untill something intrest you. You may want to consider looking into graphic design classes at a local college or university with a media art program.

The best way to get good with this software is to learn the basic tools and just experiment with them. Peachpit press makes great books for this. Unfortunatly no tutorials. They just explain what each tool does and how to use it. When you feel comfortable with photoshop you may want to consider illustrator also. These two pieces of software are great when used together. When the budget allows you may want to consider the CS2 Suite. Kinda expensive but adobe has great student pricing. http://www.academicsuperstore.com/market/marketdisp.html?PartNo=731431

Also Don't be afraid to mix mediums. For example you can scan in a photograph or even a piece of fabric and design off of that. Don't be afraid to work in multiple overlaping layers. This is often vital for achieving professional results.

If you have specific how to's let me know and ill do my best to help out

Nothing at the local colleges or bookstores. Small town Indiana. Most of the tutorials I have found just show how to clean up photographs. I am familiar with using multiple layers. The one thing I know that I'm bad at is masking. I just never use it and tend to avoid it. I can't really afford to buy CS2. Even with student pricing its to expensive for right now. I may scrap together the cash to get it later but for now I'm content with 6.0 .

That photoshopcafe has some great tutorials including one on creating mask for difficult object. http://www.photoshopcafe.com/tutorials/masking/masking.htm. Masking is typically used for editing photos though. They also have some great tutorial on creating objects from scratch. If you can master the techniques they they show, then you will be well on your way.

As far as books anything that Burt Monroy has wrote will keep you learning for a lifetime. He is like the godfather of photoshop. If he can't make it in photoshop then it can't be done. Im not sure what type of learning curves his books have though.

I have been reading through those tutorials on photoshopcafe since you linked to it the first time. Lots of good info there. I'll look for a Burt Monroy book next time I'm at the store. His name is kinda funny. At first I thought you typed "Burnt Money".

Back