• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Repeated icons in windows explorer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dawolfman666

Registered
Hi,

Every now and again I get repeated icons in the folders window of windows explorer. (See picture below)

icon-706807.jpg

This problem was first on my laptop and then after doing a bucket load of windows updates it started to happen on my desktop. It happens now and again and after I close windows explorer and load it up again its no longer there. I'm using XP Pro sp2.

Has anyone seen this problem before and know the fix?

Last edited:
This normally happens if you've enabled the "Desktop" toolbar in the Taskbar... try disabling the toolbar and see if that helps, as I don't know of an actual "fix" for that occuring.

I do have 'desktop' enabled in the taskbar. I shall give it a try at turning it off

Steve R Jones over on sharkey forums also said this:

Might try this reg tweak:

Automatically Refresh File Lists in Explorer

Change the value of UpdateMode in HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Update
from 01 to 00

If none of this has helped, give TweakUI a shot. Download it from microsoft's download section. It had a 'rebuild icons' feature which is awesome.

dawolfman666 said:
Steve R Jones over on sharkey forums also said this:

Might try this reg tweak:

Automatically Refresh File Lists in Explorer

Change the value of UpdateMode in HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Update
from 01 to 00
That might work, although I'm not sure if setting the Explorer refresh rate at its' fastest will help (though it wouldn't hurt to try). You would probably have better luck rebuilding the icons using TweakUI, like Dice suggested... than modifying the UpdateMode DWORD value in the registry. You can get the TweakUI PowerToy from MS here...

XP PowerToys
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

... the Rebuild Icons portion of TweakUI is located under the "Repair" section.

Last edited:
Back