• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Perplexing problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

slkcrab

Ok, spent the day doing a clean install of XP home and then installed XP 2. Then updated drivers to include the Via 4 in 1 (which solved another problem I was having.)

All was well and good until I started doing the windows updates (critical ones first of course) When prompted to restart I would and upon reboot I would get the screen where you could choose safemode and start windows normally. I picked the latter. A few more updates with the same results to include a boot up that repeated itself into the start up choice screen.

Upon the next update instead of restarting I shutdown the computer. When I powered back up windows booted fine. I did another update and restarted at the prompt and had the same behavior from before.

Anyone offer any insight on this? I've never had this happen before. Thanks!

slkcrab said:
Ok, spent the day doing a clean install of XP home and then installed XP 2. Then updated drivers to include the Via 4 in 1 (which solved another problem I was having.)

All was well and good until I started doing the windows updates (critical ones first of course) When prompted to restart I would and upon reboot I would get the screen where you could choose safemode and start windows normally. I picked the latter. A few more updates with the same results to include a boot up that repeated itself into the start up choice screen.

Upon the next update instead of restarting I shutdown the computer. When I powered back up windows booted fine. I did another update and restarted at the prompt and had the same behavior from before.

Anyone offer any insight on this? I've never had this happen before. Thanks!
In the latest Windows versions, you MUST shut the computer down to install updates; I do not know if this is true for your current configuration, but the system will NOT install the updates until you shut down completely.

Thanks!

That's interesting, the prompts after installs would always ask to restart. Ok I'll keep that in mind on future installations. Thanks Cap'n and happy flying!

Captain Newbie said:
In the latest Windows versions, you MUST shut the computer down to install updates; I do not know if this is true for your current configuration, but the system will NOT install the updates until you shut down completely.

I almost always restart my XP Home installation after installing updates, and it has never booted to the Windows Advanced Options menu that allows you to go into Safe Mode.

I have never ever done a shutdown after installing windows update. It's always a restart and I work with computers and do formats and installations on a daily basis. I've never had a problem with the Options Menu coming up either.

roYal said:
I have never ever done a shutdown after installing windows update. It's always a restart and I work with computers and do formats and installations on a daily basis. I've never had a problem with the Options Menu coming up either.
Guess I'm special/have a different updater then, or I've scheduled updates to not interrupt me, or something.

Probably doesn't hurt, though.

Back