• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about opening a PDF

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

acompdude

Are there any other programs that can open a PDF. I have a friend that has an older computer that wants to know because his comp freezes and stuff when he tries to open a big PDF.

Thanks

Try an older version of acrobat.

If you hit adobe.com and set the OS to win95 or winnt pre-sp6, you'll be able to get 4.0, 5, or 5.5

They are significantly quicker than the latest versions.

Also, try adobe speedup
http://www.tnk-bootblock.co.uk/prods/misc/

It significantly lowers startup time and ram usage for acrobat reader

There are many different PDF viewers out there. Since you did not state which program your friend was using, I will assume that it is the most common one (--Adobe Acrobat--). Also, if you could state the operating system and a general specification layout (what kind of computer, speed, amount of memory) of your friend's computer, we would be able to more directly help you by tayloring our advice to those specific needs.

After doing a quick google and a quick forum search, I came up with the following sites/programs which you could give a try.

If these still do not work, give me a shout, and I can have another look for you. If you want to have a look for yourself, just use my best friend --Google--.

Back