• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Another dummy trying to figure out RDC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ninety-9 SE-L

ok, I can use RDC just fine over the local network, but when I leave the area, I like to have all my stuff with me.

I got 3 computers on my local wired/wireless router:
Desktop 1 (remote): 192.168.1.100
Desktop 2 (remote): ...1.101
Laptop (local): ...1.102

Now, when I'm on the local network, my laptop can access both desktops easily with the computer name, username, and password. Works great, perfect for my needs. However, I'm usually on campus or away from home, and I want to access both desktops from another IP. I've been reading and messing around and I still can't get anything to work.

Now, I realize, in order to specify the correct computer, each desktop must have a unique port number to listen for RDC connections. I chose 56789 and 56790 for the 2 computers and entered them into the registry under: "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\TerminalServer\WinStations\RDP-Tcp\PortNumber". I then forwarded the router's ports:
TCP/UDP 56789 ---> ...1.100 (Desktop1)
TCP/UDP 56790 ---> ...1.101 (Desktop2)

Therefore, I assume when I'm away, I can enter the IP Addy followed by the port number:

Connect to:
XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX:56789
or
XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX:56790

What am I doing wrong?

No windows firewall on any of the systems. I use zonealarm on all the machines, but I took it down on all the machines to test the RDC.

I have 2 independent internet connections here, 2 seperate ISPs. So far I cannot connect to either computer.

Ninety-9 SE-L said:
No windows firewall on any of the systems. I use zonealarm on all the machines, but I took it down on all the machines to test the RDC.

I have 2 independent internet connections here, 2 seperate ISPs. So far I cannot connect to either computer.

Double check for the windows firewall because it can turn itself on when you mess with network connections. Instead of disabling Zonealarm set it up to allow the connection and see if that works because it sounds a lot like a sotware firewall is causing your problem.

Back