• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

changing titles in the device manager

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

overclucker

anyone know where or what i have to do to chance the names of the hardware in the dev manager?

say i have harddrive that says WD raptor. how can i make it say Western Digital Raptor.

^ just a example ^

overclucker said:
anyone know where or what i have to do to chance the names of the hardware in the dev manager?

say i have harddrive that says WD raptor. how can i make it say Western Digital Raptor.

^ just a example ^
Easy, just get an eprom writer and modify some hard coded data. In a word...No. If it was easy all the trolls would be selling 30gig seagates as raptors!

And, by the way....why do you asK?

Try this but always back up the registry before doing any editing.

Check this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\Scsi

You'll find SCSI0, SCSI1.

For example, mine is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\Scsi\Scsi Port 1\Scsi Bus 0\Target Id 0\Logical Unit Id 0

The "Identifier" key should show you the info you see in Device Manager, change that.

I haven't done this myself so I don't know how successful you will be.

In addition to Know Nuttin's suggestion...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE | SYSTEM | CurrentControlSet | Enum

... this is where Device Manager entries are stored by Category.

redduc900 said:

watch out for stuff in CurrentControlSet. There are multiple ControlSets in the registry and you have to change them all or no boot.

billb said:
Easy, just get an eprom writer and modify some hard coded data. In a word...No. If it was easy all the trolls would be selling 30gig seagates as raptors!

And, by the way....why do you asK?

senior prank :bday:

redduc900 said:

dosnt seem i can write anything to that catagory, just says "error writing the values new contents"

Maybe try editing controlset01. There are two versions stored in the registry, 01 & 02. 01 is used when loading Windows (currentcontrolset) normally. 02 is used when booting to Last known good config.

superduper.jpg

sweet!

still need to know how to change it in the dev manager

El<(')>Maxi said:
Maybe try editing controlset01. There are two versions stored in the registry, 01 & 02. 01 is used when loading Windows (currentcontrolset) normally. 02 is used when booting to Last known good config.

nope all 3 of them wont let me write, its like they are in use or something. :confused:

Back