• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

File Compression Programs? Anyone?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fr3@k3r

Ive tried winzip and winrar and 7zip and none of them get me enough compression i need. im tryin to get mayed 250-500mb of compression in a zip archive enough to burn to dvd.

I have a folder which is 9.8gb, i split them into 2 parts.. i still need a big compression to get them small enough to burn to a dvd+r

i really dont feel like multiple zip compressions.

might be possible not to compress it that small any more because many files are already in a compressed state (jpegs) et cetera.

Zip is the wrong format if you want good compression. Only advantage of zip is its wide availability like in XP. Try bzip2 perhaps. If the data is already compressed (like when it's a movie), forget it, then you can only re-encode the mpeg2 data and sacrifice a little image quality (rareyl if ever visible) for space.

KGB Archiver is the best compression utility out there. I saw it shrunk Office 2003 into 2MB. BUT the catch is it take's days to compress and days to de-compress on the maximum setting.

thegreek said:
KGB Archiver is the best compression utility out there. I saw it shrunk Office 2003 into 2MB. BUT the catch is it take's days to compress and days to de-compress on the maximum setting.
Just FYI, I did some research on this (since compressing down to 2MB would be simply amazing!) and it appears that the contents were faked. Apparently a number of files are filled with junk data and repetitive sequences. Almost nobody tried installing it though because extracting would have taken too long.

Still, KGB appears to provide excelent compression - their site claims to have achived 88.4% compression of an MPEG (~2% better than 7zip at maximum)

JigPu

Ziping Encoded Video, Encoded Pictures...
Not worth it since they are already compressed. You'd save probably 10 mb AT MOST

If you want to make the video's smaller you can re-encode them to use less bitrate or lower the resolution. Which will make the size smaller.

Back