• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Software Install problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

crofty83

Im trying to install Adobe Acrobat 7 on my PC however when it trys to install it say's the drive letter G: isn't found and aborts the install. The G: drive use to be a virtual drive that has now bee uninstalled. My Hard drives letters are C:, D:, and E:

Does anyone know how I can sort this error out

During the setup try changing the destination of where you want to install it.

If during the installation of Acrobat you're not asked to specify a directory to install the program to, you can specify the default installation drive / directory in the registry... Start | Run | Type regedit, and click OK | Expand the following branch:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE | SOFTWARE | Microsoft | Windows | CurrentVersion

You'll need to change two values to reflect where you want the default installation directory to be...

ProgramFilesDir
ProgramFilesPath

Double-click (or right click and select "Modify") each of the above String Values and edit the Value Data as appropriate.

I look at those two locations in the registy and :-

ProgramFilesDir points to C:\Program Files
and
ProgramFilesPath points to %Program Files%

any other ideas

In that case I would have to assume your previously installed virtual drive hasn't been completely uninstalled, as references to it are obviously still present in the registry.

Download Powertoys Tweakui from the Microsoft Website. You'll be able to see the tweakui link on the right side.

Microsoft link: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx
Direct Microsoft link to the tweakui executable:
http://download.microsoft.com/downl...a6-b352-839afb2a2679/TweakUiPowertoySetup.exe

Once you install TweakUI, proceed to open it. Expand the My Computer section and select Special Folders. Under the folder drop down list, select installation path. This is the path that is, by default, set to your Program Files directory. After you change this to your C:\Program Files, you can verify the results through a command prompt. Go to Start | Run | Type cmd and hit ok. Type in the following: echo %ProgramFiles%. It should display back to you, C:\Program Files.

Back