• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Out look express compact??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Layback Bear

Every time I close OE a pop up keeps asking if if want to compact OE. What is it asking and should I do it. If I don't want to do a compact how do I stop the popup

Compacting your folders periodically is basically a must in order to keep OE functioning well, and at some point you may lose all your saved messages if you don't. With SP2 automatic background compacting was removed due to problems it caused, now instead you'll just get a prompt to compact after 100 OE closings, which you should do anyway...

http://www.insideoe.com/files/maintain.htm#compact

Here's a few things for you to keep in mind... don't archive mail in default OE folders, as they'll eventually become corrupt and you may lose your mail. Create your own user defined folders for storing mail and move your mail to them. Empty the Deleted Items folder regularly, and keep user created folders under 100MB... and Default folders as empty as is feasible.

Check out OE Tool... it will not only Compact All Folders, but at the same time resets the "Compact Check Count" to zero whenever you compact manually.

http://www.oehelp.com/OETool/... and make sure to check "Work Offline" before you compact.

Thanks for your reply. I only have 6 active messages and I keep the deleted email empty daily. Could a large block sender file cause this problem?

I compacted all folders, does that also compact the blocked sender file, or is there some way I should handle it. Blocked sender gets big very quick
Thanks again for your help redduce900

Well, the Blocked Senders List is located in the registry under the following key...

HKEY_CURRENT_USER | Identities | Your_Identity_String | Software | Microsoft | Outlook Express | 5.0 | Blocked Senders

... Your_Identity_String is a string in the form of {B4E48A39-49CE-48B9-B369-1B717B10EE1C}

... so to answer your question, no the list doesn't get compacted when compacting folders. You would need to edit the list via Tools | Message Rules | Blocked Senders List or through the registry key above.

Last edited:
sorry it took so long to get back. It is spring and a lot of yark work to do. I want the blocked sender to work so I guess will just let it get bigger. Thank for your help/ I'm learning?

Back