• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i need some help..plz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Drinkyoghurt

hi all.

ok to make a long story short. i have windows with all on my 40gb harddrive. i just got back my 200gb harddrive and installed windows on it. how do i copy all my files from the 40gb to the 200gb? with all the registry keys in the right place ofcourse

It'll be pretty big most likely. It all depends on what stuff you have though and how much space is free. The image you save can also be compressed. The process is simple though. Make an image of your system. Save the image file on your current drive which will be the older one. Install the new disk and set your older one as a slave drive and your new one as the master drive. Go into bios and set your floppy drive as your 1st boot. Boot off the Ghost floppy and when it asks you where the image is, just navigate to your older drive and have it extract the image to your new drive.

ok, i cant put ghost on a floppy =S..so this is what i did, after a while of fiddling in my bios i finally combined the P-ATA and S-ATA togheter so now i have 240gb. at first it couldnt recognise my cdroms anymore and would fail the boot, but now everthing is just fine =)

DriveImage XML with PE Builder. both free and easy to install.
Install above
1-Make image to dvd (or install 200 first, put image there, copying it back to the 40 before you restore to the 200)
2-Install 200gb as slave
3-restore image to slave
4-shutdown, swap drives & don't forget jumpers, reboot, format 40gb
though honestly unless the 200 is alot faster I would leave my os on the 40

well i just hooked up the s-ata as a slave so windows boots up the ata harddisk with all my stuff on it...cant deny that 40gb extra isnt that bad...didnt even know i had the drive before my 200 broke

Back