• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ATI control centre

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It should be ok if you uninstall CCC (Catalyst Control Center) as it basically is just a new user interface to the ATI Control Panel. There are a few people who have reported that this does slow down boot up (as in your case) and all they have done is uninstall it.

BUT, before you just run out to the Add/Remove Programs feature in the Control Panel, I would suggest that you read --This Article-- as it goes into quite a bit of detail on how the CCC works, and how to optimize it to your own personal needs.

Also, you might want to consider uninstalling your ATI drivers first, and then heading over to --ATI's Website-- and only downloading and installing the nessasary Drivers (excluding the CCC) which should be located under the Low Speed (Dial up) section. This will help prevent unnessasary errors from poping up, and should keep you headache free. As for how to uninstall ATI Drivers, you can either do a Forum search, Google search, or take a look at the links I have listed below.

Another alternative that you might want to look into, are the --Omega Drivers-- (which are also listed above), as many people on these forums use them instead of ATI's. These drivers tend to be optimized versions of ATI's drivers, and if you would like to learn more about them, --Click Here--.

If you have any other questions, dont hesitate to ask.:cool:

Raven

raven said:
It should be ok if you uninstall CCC (Catalyst Control Center) as it basically is just a new user interface to the ATI Control Panel. There are a few people who have reported that this does slow down boot up (as in your case) and all they have done is uninstall it.

Raven

i am going to try this and before i do it i am going to do a restore point. should this be ok?

i read on tweakxp.com on how to remove the drivers and it sounded dangerous to me and i dnt want to lose my files if i make a mistake.

afg34 said:
i am going to try this and before i do it i am going to do a restore point. should this be ok?

i read on tweakxp.com on how to remove the drivers and it sounded dangerous to me and i dnt want to lose my files if i make a mistake.

Dont worry too much about it. This process of removing ATI drivers has been refined and redefined many times, and it is very easy to do. All you have to do is follow the instructions from one of the guides below. I have done this myself on my laptop, and did not encounter any problems. Same goes for my two desktops as well. Windows XP contains default drivers which it reverts back to once your old ones are uninstalled. Then, after you install the new drivers, the Windows XP ones are disabled, and the new ones kick in.

As always thought, my advice is to have everything important and irreplaceable backed up before you do anything that has even the slightest possibility of messing up. This way, you do not have to worry about losing anything incase of a worst case scenario. One thing that you can do is back up all of your important data and files onto another drive (or cd/dvd) or partition, and then anything you do to your main drive (C: usually) won't affect the others. If I am in a bind, and I do not have any blank dvds or an extra Hard Drive lying around, I move all of my important data to my D: partition, and then I feel safe about messing around with my computer. If anything were to go wrong, I would just repair, restore, or reinstall windows onto my C: drive, without worrying about losing my important files (as I can just copy them back from my D: drive). When it comes to programs though, and your computer does somehow manage to crash, make sure that you have the installation disks on hand, as you might need to reinstall them. This has never been the case for me, nor has it been for many of my friends, but you always hear about it happening to someone, so I say it is better to be safe than sorry.

In any case, you shouldn't lose too much sleep over this, as incase the worst case scenario does come about, we will be here to help you through it.

Now, here are some driver removing guides that you might want to take a look at.

Maybe if you can tell us which part of the steps makes you nervous, then we could go through it with you step by step. This way, you can feel more confident in performing this task.

i am going to follow the tweakxp guide and the drivers im want are the first ones under low speed right?
here : https://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894&task=knowledge&folderID=27

if i have any trouble i will post here for ur help

THNX in advance and hope i dnt mess up because i hate the ccc and never use it. and some times when you are refreshing the desktop you accedintaly click on ccc instead of refresh. :):):)

hey raven in the tweakxp guide it says uninstall ATI MultiMedia software and/or the ATI DVD software, but i dnt have any of those.
here is a screenshot

addremove2df.jpg

So which one should i uninstall

afg34 said:
hey raven in the tweakxp guide it says uninstall ATI MultiMedia software and/or the ATI DVD software, but i dnt have any of those.
here is a screenshot

So which one should i uninstall
Well, what you remove just depends on what you want to do.

1. If you want to remove everything 'ATI Driver related (this is what I would recommend), then you uninstall everything related to ATI that came with your drivers (ie anything you didn't install later yourself). --Drive Cleaner-- has the process layed out for you step by step in it's readme txt file. All you have to do is download the program, unzip it, and open the readme*. I recommend you do this and print out/write out the steps incase you forget one of them during your uninstallation.
By uninstalling your drivers completely, you are then able to install a newer set of drivers, which would fix a few bugs and most likely improve picture quality (usually).

2. If you are just looking to uninstall the CCC, then I believe (as I haven't specifically done this myself), that you only have to remove the ATI Catalyst Control Center in Add/Remove Programs. By the looks of it, it is the one that you have highlighted in your picture. What TweakXP is giving you, is a guide for how to remove ALL of the components that come with the ATI drivers. With other packages of the ATI drivers you would have received ATI Multimedia Software [ie MMC (Multimedia center) which come with the All In Wonder drivers] or ATI DVD software. With the newer versions, as I have mentioned below, this is taken care of by uninstalling using the ATI - Software Uninstall Utility. By only doing this, you are not guarenteed to have all of the registry values erased. In that case, if you do decide to go this route, I would suggest doing more research on where ATI creates it's CCC registry entries, and then deleting them yourself (after you have uninstalled the CCC).

* What it will say in the readme is to uninstall ATI drivers + ATI Control Panel. With the newer versions of Catalyst, what you have to do is Add/Remove 'ATI - Software Uninstall Utility'. This should take care of everything that was installed with your ATI drivers. If you want to read more about this --Click Here-- and scroll down to the bottom where it is talked about.

Hopefully this clears things up for you, but if it doesn't, we are still here to help out! Also, after you get everything sorted out, posting a follow up would also be appreciated as others might be asking the same questions as you are, and might come across this thread for help.

One thing I should say. You have XP even if you uninstall the driver you will still be able to boot to Windows, XP has generic drivers on board.

I think you are a little too scared for someone who visits a tech forum. Be Bold, Be Crazy, Be Daring. Crazy as in someone who thinks out've the box.

BTW i only installed the Driver for my ATI card. No need for anything else.

right now its 11 at night so imma try this tomorow when i come bak from school.

Thnx so much for your help RAVEN and kurz

I DID IT

i finished and it works. I just followed the readme file that was included in the driver cleaner program as raven said. THNX

ATI:
1. Unplug nic card or modem from net or disconnect
2. Remove ATI driver from add/remove programs then remove the control panel from add/remove programs
3. Reboot into safe mode (F8 during boot up)
4. On reboot into safe mode WinXP SP1/SP2 will auto detect and install drivers. Just let it do its thing. If you can cancel out of the auto install hardware wizard then skip the rest and run Driver Cleaner! If you can NOT cancel out of auto detect wizard then...
5. Navigate to device manager->display adapter->uninstall and/or remove ATI display adapter but do not reboot
6. Disable any AntiVirus Software (If you don't disable is than it could give trouble)
7. Run Cab Cleaner (not needed, but recommended)
8. Run Driver Cleaner
9. Empty recycle bin and reboot
10. Install the new drivers and control panel

afg34 said:

Congratulations:thup:
Hopefully your computer is now booting up faster and things are working the way that you want them to.

One thing that I would like to bring up is the way that you asked this question. It seemed to me, through your second post, that you had done at least some prior reading on your problem, and that you came here for some clarification on what you had read. This is something that I wish that more people would do before they post. It is a sign of maturity, and a sign of commitment, and I really appreciate it. It makes answering a question just that much easier & enjoyable, as you know that the poster has a little bit of background on the subject. And for this, you have my respect.

If you would still like to improve on your posts, one thing that I would suggest you do would be to state anything that would help us to answer your questions. For example, with this post, if you were to have stated what version of the Catalyst driver you had installed, or what OS you were using, our answers could have been directed more quickly to the problem at hand. This is just a quick tip for you later on.

Cheers:cool:

Aww I missed it...
Anywho I see you got along just fine.

Dont be afraid to say "too much".
More describition the better.
Most of the time I need to guess on what someone wants to know how to do.

Back