• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

20 reasons why vista sux.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Most of the author's comment's are merely peeves. Overall, he actually seems to like the OS quite a bit:

"Despite these seeming faux pas, Microsoft has also managed to add a good deal of benefit and improvement in Windows Vista -- enough good things that it may be even easier to collect 20 things you'll like about Windows Vista."

Many of the items addressed are being dealt with (it IS beta, after all):

"18. User Account Controls $#^%!~\!!!."

“...On May 23, Austin Wilson, director for the Windows client, promised that Microsoft will be refining UAC protections to eliminate the number of pop-up boxes Vista will, ah, throw up. He promised that the Release Candidate 1 version of Vista would show improvement in this area.”

Some of the issues are left-overs from XP:

"16. No way to access the Administrator account in Vista Beta 2."

The only way in XP is to boot in safe mode unless you create another account with admin privelages. I don’t see a lot of difference here.

Overall, I come away from reading the article with the feeling that Vista will have significant improvements over XP with some irritating changes that we'll figure out work arounds for. No big surprises here...

Ummmmm.... He didn't say it sucks, he said 20 things you may not like. Change is good but people don't like change. That doesn't mean change sux.

18. User Account Controls $#^%!~\!!!.

It was testing and Microsoft understood that it's annoying and they said they're constantly modifying it to find the balance between having a secure environement while not being a pain.

16. No way to access the Administrator account in Vista Beta 2.

This is because they want all beta testers to be able to test UAC and give good feedback. This is a beta, they need to test UAC as it is important, hence the reason for this. Things change all the time in beta, maybe this guy can't handle beta testing.

15. Some first-blush networking peeves.

He's just saying it'll take some time getting used to.

9. Windows Defender Beta 2 is buggy.

It's in beta, of course it has bugs.

4. Installation takes forever.

Windows vista is currently in optimization stages where they are tweaking things to make installation faster as well as other things. Also, Vista is currently compiled in debugging mode.

3. Version control.

I agree, all the versions thing is completely retarded and will cause consumer and business market confusion.

Seinken said:
When I read it, it seemed the author was really Mac OSX biased... I don't even know why I got that feeling.
I agree, it does seem that way.
roYal said:
Ummmmm.... He didn't say it sucks, he said 20 things you may not like. Change is good but people don't like change. That doesn't mean change sux.
hafa said:
Most of the author's comment's are merely peeves. Overall, he actually seems to like the OS quite a bit:
I know guys, but I just saw another chance to slam vista so I took it!

The general "feel" of the OS seems to be more complicated than ever. Just the opposite of every previous Microsoft OS. I had high hopes for Vista at one point but, it just turned into a pitiful joke of an operating system. I don't recall any previous version of Windows that was widley successful and superior to it's predecessor that required 6 years to build and still came out a failure. Seems like those days are gone for Microsoft.

Naked_07 said:
The general "feel" of the OS seems to be more complicated than ever. Just the opposite of every previous Microsoft OS. I had high hopes for Vista at one point but, it just turned into a pitiful joke of an operating system. I don't recall any previous version of Windows that was widley successful and superior to it's predecessor that required 6 years to build and still came out a failure. Seems like those days are gone for Microsoft.
The whole division is being mismanaged. They seem to lack a goal or target. They're wondering aimlesslsy and don't really know what should and should not be in Vista at this point.

With regards to the VRAM question: Apple is doing far more with less VRAM. A Mac mini with 32MB of VRAM can run OS X with most of the visual goodness turned on and my PowerBook G4 with 64MB does just fine with everything turned on (although I turn most eye candy OFF for reasons too numerous and obvious to enumerate here).

With regards to user access controls: No comment.

With regards to secure desktop with UAC: Good idea, Apple will be sure to implement that in 10.whatever's-next :) and will have it released before Vista. But seriously, more visual cues to get your attention are a good idea.

With regards to price: I don't want to pay $349 for Super-Ultimate-Duper-OMG-Edition.

With regards to little originality: duh. :)

Naked_07 said:

Agreed. Long live XP!

Everything in Vista seems so complicated. :confused:

NsOmNiA91130 said:
That's what everyone said when XP came out and everyone was using 2k.

Lol, I was just about to post this but saw you did. Literally everyone was anti-xp when xp was nearing release. Now, everyone uses XP and is anti-Vista. In 4-5 years everyone will be using Vista and will be anti-next os after Vista. It's just the way it works. Many people are just too afraid of change so they try to find negative things about stuff to give them excuses as to why they don't want to change.

I loved XP leading upto the release and after... but I am getting the feeling one would get in the lot of a car dealership. You spend most of your time looking at the 2006 Mustang, then go buy a used mini van. I like the look of the Mustang, it would be cool to own and drive, but I need a van to drive my kids around and I dont want to blow all my money on it.

Vista will have to be alot cheaper right now before I buy it, in the mean time, I will keep learning the ins and outs of Linux. IMO M$ is in for some stiffer compitition in the next decade.

Oroka Sempai said:
IMO M$ is in for some stiffer compitition in the next decade.

Hopefully it doesn't take a whole decade for something decent to finally take some real market share in the average home user market.

I'd love to install and use something else, but the lengths that need to be gone through to get stuff working doesn't ring my bells. I can do anything I need to in Windows: get any hardware or software working, fix any problem, install, manage, or get rid of stuff, etc. I can easily apply a lot of computer literacy, knowhow and enthusiast-ism (i am aware of the word enthusiasm, but it doesn't convey the right concept) when I need to.

I can apply it, but the thing is I don't want to apply it. Linux is too much effort. Too much work. I don't want to have to be a hacker just to get my GD OS working. Give me an installer for programs and drivers for christ's sake. You know, install-this-program-or-driver-package.exe. I don't want to have to be a hacker to change settings. I don't want to have to be a hacker to install the OS or programs and drivers. I don't want to be a hacker for day to day running and operating of my computer. That's the biggest thing deterring me from the alternatives. Hold my hand for the love of God! I don't want to learn the complete inner workings and workarounds and hacks and ins and outs of a whole new OS! I went through that with Windows, don't make me do it again!

Although Gentoo was the closest distro I used to meeting the above requirements. All hail 'emerge'. And being able to completely customize the kernel to my processor and some other hardware was amazing, Windows needs that.

If they can just make the alternatives easy to use for the average home idiot with enough software support that isn't we-only-do-it-in-our-free-time-and-support-is-liable-to-be-discontinued-at-any-minute governed, then it shouldn't take that whole decade to get enough competition in the home user market to make Microsoft change their ways.

Although the Dictator Rights Mis-management of Vista sure makes a body take a long hard look at the alternatives even now.

I still think the biggest problem for Microsoft will be convincing people they need to upgrade, what exactly does Vista do that XP can not ?

i think maybe these operating systems with five letter codenames are problematic. vista, tiger, must be a bad omen since both operating systems are...well nevermind. i don't know enough about vista (other then what i've read about its drm technologies) to call it garbage, nor do i care to know about vista.

NsOmNiA91130 said:
What exactly does 2k do that XP cannot?

2k can share an appletalk printer to windows clients and it makes it super easy to do. xp can't do that, at least not any way that i've found and certainly not for free (well i guess you could do it by moving the appletalk protocol files from 2k to an xp machine, microsoft or apple probably have some eula i haven't read that prohibits just that). 2k works quite well for my networked laserjet 4ml.

Last edited:
Back