• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Photoshop cs.. issue, digital pic editing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

unreal

Registered
i took some images with a digital camera and the pixils are 2816x2112 and vertical the same way switched, i want to crop out alot and keep the quality of the image, basically center it and cut the rest out, what size should i make the new image size to simple be able to move over an image and center it if need be, i can print it out on an 8x10 picture or poster? if this makes any sense to anyone, please let me know, i did a photoshoot for a friend and want to kill wasted space.. if i used a regular camera this would be easy but ugh... digital can get confusing sometimes for editing for profesionalism..

because even though i crop it, if i wanted to print out a, 8x10 photo, it would loose sides somewhere, i wanted exact fitted to the page... but the res is to high to just size, i guess the only thing i can do it go slowly and keep aspect ratio until i can fit it to the frame i want, but i thought there might be an easier way...

so if i set the aspect ratio to fixed, i get a 1x1 square how ever big, but i still need to make sure its perfect for printing picture on photo paper, max size, what would it be? thx for the help also, 1 step closer..

if i divide the res by itself it seems the ratio is 1x1.3 repeating.... but what about making a new file and moving the image over it till it fits to what i want? i need to know that size to,

*edit* i found when making a new image i can use a preset for 8x10, but cropping perfectly for it is still an issue.

Last edited:
he wants to print out an image but have it fill an 8 x 10 piece of paper, so he needs to crop it to fit. ?

2816x2112 is your resolution but does not dictate the size of your image. go to image<image size and increase the size of the picture untill the part of the picture you want fills an 8x10 area then crop away what you dont want.

If you go to the "view" option on the toolbar there is an option called ruler. if you check this options a ruler will appear on the top and side of the photo.

Then once the rulers appear if you click on them and drag you can set guides to help you map out the part of the photo you want. Note these guides will not show up on your print they are refrence guides only.

Krashnicki said:
2816x2112 is your resolution but does not dictate the size of your image. go to image<image size and increase the size of the picture untill the part of the picture you want fills an 8x10 area then crop away what you dont want.

If you go to the "view" option on the toolbar there is an option called ruler. if you check this options a ruler will appear on the top and side of the photo.

Then once the rulers appear if you click on them and drag you can set guides to help you map out the part of the photo you want. Note these guides will not show up on your print they are refrence guides only.
yeah i see what your saying, with the ruler it comes to 30x about 36 inchs, if the ruler is correct, but isnt making the image bigger going to decrease the resolution and quality? If i make a new image 8x10, this thing is huge compared and is to big to fit, so i would have to shrink it, wouldnt that also change the quality?

If i understand you correctly your image is 30x36. so instead of increasing the size like i explained decrese it. If you make the image smaller that will decrease the pixel count because the image is gonna be smaller but it will not decrease the resolution(pixels per inch). PPI is what matters when it comes to photos. you can find out how many pixels/per inch you have by going to the image option on the toolbar then go to image size

print quality should be at least 200 ppi or greater (300 perfered) If you photo is 300 pixels per inch that means you have 300 dots of color for every square inch of photo.

if you increase the size of the photo you will lose some image quality but its usually not noticable unless you increase the size more then 10%. unless you have a low resolution photo

If i am misunderstanding you please tell me what the size of the photo is in inches and what the pixels/inch number is

ok photoshop says under image size, when i try to change it, width 2186 pixels by hieght 2112 pixels, but it says 17 megs for the size, it says the resolution is 72 pixels/inch, so this is fine to make smaller and cut?

72 pixels/inch is the key number here. This is fine to display on a computer screen but will be of poor print quality regaurdless of size.

pixels/inch is determined by taking the number of pixels for a given side and dividing it by that sides length in inches. ex 2186/30=72.8pixels you want at least 200pixels/inch. If you still have the original photo on your camera I would download that into your pc again. And then check the pixels/inch on that. maybe you changed this setting by accident.

Any digital camera should be able to provide at least 200ppi as long as your quality setting on the camera where not set low when you took the picture.

Simply adjusting the pixel/inch setting in photoshop will not improve image quality so dont bother wasting your time. If the information is not in the picture to begin with it cant be added later.

If you are able to obtain the photo at a higher ppi you can pm me and i can edit the photo for you, if you want.

Last edited:
well its a nude photoshoot so i cant send the pics for u to edit, and i had the camera set to max quality, so i dont understand why the ppi is so low, the res is high but the ppi is low? weird! ugh so now im screwed cause thats all i have.. it was transfered directly off the camera like a hd drive,

it does not make sense to me that why the image is so large. Did you try to download it off your camera again. I cant see any reason why it would be 30x36" at 72ppi. it should probably be in a 5x7" format at 200-300ppi. I dont know any camera thats gonna take a 30x36. i would suspect user error but im not sure what you did wrong

all i did was max the quality and max the resolution, i guess ill lower the res and try with max quality..
i just used the 1x1.333 setting for the ratio and cropped.. thx anyways guys

youdont need to lower any res.

this is hard to explain - ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

do u got msn? add me if you want and i can try to walk you through this via msn, maybe easier.

and 72 is fine for web, but i have also printed MANy 8x11 pics from my 20D with that res and theycome out perfect.

Back