• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows and RAM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Look at that, you help me I help you:) Depends what version of Windows you are using. I believe Win2K has support for up to 2Gb.

Win9x has the limit of 512MB.

Win NT/2000 has 2GB(i guess).

however, i have heard 'bout the WinXP tho??? any idea??? thinking of upgrading to XP. but would like to know what kinda limitation it has?!

I presume since XP is based on the NT Kernal it will be 2Gb. Not that I've seen 1Gb DDR, do they exist? Got a few spaces on this MoBo and it supports 1Gb sticks, be nice for video editing:)

Sir-Epix said:
I heard that windows can only manage 512Mb of RAM. How can I get windows to manage more then 512MB?
If your talking about W98SE then you can go here. Also go to AnalogX & D/L Cache Booster so you can easily change your VCache. W2KPRO Has a limit of 2048Mb.

Win 9x/ME will only effectively use up to 512Mb. After that you need to alter the VCache and even then it still isn't being used properly, they will work tho'.

2000/XP can address up to 4Gb of Physical RAM, and are also much better at memory management.

Hence there is little/no point in having more than 512 in a Win9x/ME environment, but with 2000/XP the more the better.

Back