• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help finding HP drivers for someone

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mage_x

My friend recently reformatted his "HP xp6000" desktop computer and no longer has any sound, so I suspect he needs the sound drivers off the HP website. The only "xp6000" I can find is from googling it, which comes up with some results on a dual xeon workstation computer. He insists that he has an xp6000, but I can't find it on HP's website. Any ideas?

go to his house and look for yourself

if he bought an HP, he prolly doesn't know much about PC's.

I can't goto his house since I only know him over the internet, but I don't think he's so incompetent that he can't read the front of his case. I'll look around some more.

last time I went to driverguide I thought drivers/all didn't work anymore. HP makes an XW6000....it's a dually xeon. Never heard of an XP6000. Do they have any kind of warranty lookup if he gave you the SN?

I have sold HP laptop/desktops at my work for MANY years, and never have i seen a model # start with xp. I am thinking he is getting it wrong. As cw823 said, i would ask him for the serial number, and look it up that way.

So, now he told me he has a Compaq Presario 6000, not a HP XP6000. I have no clue how he got the two confused as it says the model right on his case. He then informed me that his sound was working after he reformatted, but that it stopped working completely a few days later. So, I told him to go into his BIOS and make sure his onboard sound was enabled, but he can't get into his bios even though he knows the key to enter (he can't seem to hit it at the right time). Yay.

Since it's just onboard it's possible that he can get the drivers through running Windows Update-> Custom. Under the left additional hardware-whatever column it might be listed. After a friend reformatted his compaq laptop he had a heck of a time looking for his sound drivers until I finally guided him to look there (it was a VIA-based laptop if that helps any).

I must say its very hard to diagnose a problem when you aren't getting the correct info. Just how far away are you from this guy? Even Compaqs have a key for getting into BIOS.

Well, he lives in WA and I live in TN. I've pretty much given up on the problem. He'll have to take it to someone who can fix it I guess.

Back