• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win2000 Raid install problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rbdaniel@bellso

Hello everyone

I am having some issues installing Win 2000 on a IDE Raid setup. (MOBO has 2 IDE Raid and 2 SATA Raid controllers)

This is the setup
Mobo: 7N400 pro/ AMD 2700/ 1GB ram
2 Maxtor 160GB (Raid 0) - each disk as master (2 IDE raid controllers)
2 Seagate 120GB Primary IDE connector (now)
Floppy disk with driver

I have either:
Use Maxtor installation CD to prepare disks (maxtors) and then setup RAID using the utility program. both disks in the same comtroller
tried installing with- no go.
NO GO - after trying to format 120GB Seagate disk computer says it was not able to do so and to <> F3 to reboot...

Although, I have been able to setup Win 2000 on Primary IDE (120GB) disk and use, I wanted to take advantage of the raid for the whole system and have not been able to.
Raid 0 setup as "Game" disk before.

I seems that for some reason it needs to use my a disk not in RAID to install before setting up in Raid disks...

Any suggestions please.

Thank you

Daniel

There are many known issues when it comes to nvraid and the installation process of Windows. The reason this happens is because the nvraid drivers are not WHQL certified and when you install, Windows has issues when working with them. What you need to do is force Windows to use these by integrating them into the Windows installation.

A basic rundown of what I did, was install Nlite, download the service pack and slipstream it (Nlite will slipstream it), and then extract the nvraid drivers from the Nvidia chipset drivers and tell Nlite to include that in the installation. It'll basically become one of the internal drivers and Windows will think it's ok That way, you wont need the floppy and need to do the f6.

I had many issues with bluscreens doing the f6 install with the f6 utility from Nvidia/Asus. When I followed Fernando's (the OP from the link I posted) instructions, everything worked perfectly. He's a very helpful fellow also. Good luck.

Hello Royal

What link are you refering to I would love to try the Nlite setup. I am pretty much pooped with this setup and installation thin.. lol
I was really not aware that Nvraid was not WHQL certified.

Thank you

Daniel

It would've helped if I actually posted the link eh? Oops

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=51140&st=0&p=356029&

Ya, I had a lot of problems when I was learning how to do this. I literally had like 5 different floppy disks with different f6 set ups (one from nvidia and one from asus), then a few more with custom ways I extracted the nvraid files from the chipset drivers, etc... It was driving me nuts but I was determined to try to get it done right. I then created 2 cds, one slipstreamed sp2 xp cd where I was going to use the f6 floppy and a second cd which was nlite created with sp2 slipstreamed with the nvraid drivers added exactly as Fernando said. I didn't do any of the nlite patch integration or any of the other options. I just wanted exactly what was absolutely necessary to get raid running and that was that. The nlite install was the one that worked for me as well as many other users in Fernando's thread. Let me know if you need any help, good luck.

Very nice. I will review that link and the process will post here is i have any questions.

Thank you

Daniel

Back