• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IS THIS TRUE OR FALSE?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WeezleXX89

I have a friend named Gorden that told me that Windows 2000 is the same as Widows xp with games. He told me that when you look on the box on a game and the operating System says Windows XP then that means as long as you have Windows 2000 installed as the operating system the games will work. For an example, DFI motherboards Dont support opterons but they work just as fine as other AMD processors. Is this really true?

Thanks,
Weezlexx89

When You Bought Age Of Empires did it say that it does not support Windows 2000?

WeezleXX89 said:
When You Bought Age Of Empires did it say that it does not support Windows 2000?
One would assume.

XP and 2k run on different kernels. The kernels are similar however, so that's why a lot of games that run on XP run on 2k, and vice-versa.

Not that I mess with Windows much any more (diehard linux geek nowadays, lol) but I do have some input on this-

Windows 2000 and Windows XP both use the NT5 kernel for the operating system.
The BASIC underlying system for them is the same.

When Windows XP FIRST came out, there were very, VERY few actual changes to the NT5 kernel in it.
I believe that has changed now...

But in any case: MOST games or other software that runs in XP will work in 2K.
Most, but NOT all, especially since there have been more changes to XP and very few to 2000 in a long time.

There ARE titles that will NOT run in Win2K. Some can be made to run, others just will not.

yeah, i ran into this with a tomb raider games a few years ago. i really like 2000 its alot more stable than xp, but they are right not ALL games will run on it.

yeah I got the battlefield 2 demo and it told me I needed XP for the install to work but it let me do it anyways and it worked fine. Even though the requirements say XP only it worked.

What I suggjest you do is get the DEMO for the game and try that out, if that works the actual game should work as well.

Yah, I had a heck of a time getting Black and White 2 to run on win 2K and it said on the box that it could. I did not have to resort to any actual hacks but I did have to get the windows updater running on my system to make the game work.

Oh and as far as 2K not being updated anymore, I can tell you that that is just not true as I now have that stupid pop-up thing that annoys me every couple of days.

Windows 2000 is not any more or any less stable than a properly setup WinXP machine. Now XP has alittle more bloat on a fresh install, but that's easily fixed.

If all else fails, set up a dual boot system. Especially easy if you are not going to do internet gaming on the xp side.

LoneWolf121188 said:
:D

Well, look at it this way: Internally, 2000 and XP have the same main version number, I believe they are both 5.x, while Vista is version 6.0. ;)
maybe im totally on crack but i swear the build on vista B2 was 5348 :) comp is at the office so i cant check. However, the video settings/drivers are shot to hell so it may say 6 after all lol :)

pik4chu said:
maybe im totally on crack but i swear the build on vista B2 was 5348 :) comp is at the office so i cant check. However, the video settings/drivers are shot to hell so it may say 6 after all lol :)
http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/05/31/windows_vista/ said:
In less than a year - assuming that the dates slip no further - Microsoft will release a new operating system under the thrilling name of "Windows Vista." Internally, Windows Vista is identified as Windows version number 6.0. Thus, we're dealing with an entirely new version here, in contrast to Windows XP, which really only represented an update to Windows 2000.
You're almost right, Vista Beta 2 is build number 5384.4, but its version number 6.0. Don't ask me what the difference is, ask Tom. :D

Back