• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows Refuses to Recognize Internet Homepage

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Route44

About 6 weeks ago I came here for advice on why I couldn't access Comcast.net, my internet home page, in my new build. I was directed to simply go to the Tool section and replace the default MSN url with the Comcast one. Sure enough it worked.

I had some issues with the same PC of freezing at the Logo screen since this past weekend and it took me a few days to resolve (one of which was to disable the Logo screen -- weird). Now that I am back and able to boot to Windows I can't get Windows to recognize the Comcast url in Tools even though I have applied it and Windows shows it is there.

1. Every time I go to log on the process stutters until the green bar is full but it never goes beyond that.

2. It will load MSN with no issues, but I don't want MSN as Comcast has my favorites, email, ect.

3. I thought maybe it was my Firewall blocking access so I configured Comcast it in its exception file and thus I should have no issues between the firewall and the Comcast url.

Any suggestions? It will be most appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Wow, klingens, talk about a quick reply! Thanks! Believe it or not right after I posted this I decided to try once more. And for some unknown reason it took this time.

Why? I haven't a clue. I did nothing different -- nothing -- and yet this time Windows not only recognized the Comcast url I also was able to fully load into Comcast's homepage.

I've seriously considered Firefox but I've heard lately that it has been suffering some serious issues lately. Do you recommend it? Thanks again.

Route44 said:
Wow, klingens, talk about a quick reply! Thanks! Believe it or not right after I posted this I decided to try once more. And for some unknown reason it took this time.

Why? I haven't a clue. I did nothing different -- nothing -- and yet this time Windows not only recognized the Comcast url I also was able to fully load into Comcast's homepage.

I've seriously considered Firefox but I've heard lately that it has been suffering some serious issues lately. Do you recommend it? Thanks again.

Do you mean to tell me there are other browsers out there? I highly recommend firefox, as would most other people that use it.

Firstly, I gota do a bit of clearing up. You say windows did not recognize it. From what you are saying it sounds like it couldn't resolve the domain name or get there. Not that windows could not recognize it. Sorry I had to clear that up :)

Second, I have had issues like this before. The best solution is to call up your ISP when it happens, and as things like: are the DNS servers down? Is my MTU ok? stuff like that. Ensure that your DNS servers are correct as well. if one is wrong it could lead to you not getting resolved domains

Cheator, I know the servers were up because my Pentium 3 rig which is in the same room was accessing the internet via Comcast with no problems at all. And your clarification says it better than I could: It seemed it couldn't resolve the domain name or get there. But like I said the first time I changed it in Tools no problems whatsoever.

Pardon my ignorance, What is "MTU?"

Actually I was going to contact Comcast but as I said in my last reply for some reason it took this time. Ah, computers... (and the people that try to run them -- like me!)

Thanks.

ah ok well I didn't know it worked elsewhere so it could have been that the DNS server on that non working rig was typed wrong, or something. I dunno really.

MTU I don't really remember what it is, but it is a value that has a bearing on your connection. I don't really care what ti is infact, but it is something I check because, often, ISPs have a specific MTU they want you to use.

And i am glad it got resolved man. But if it does happen again, see if it is the MTU and get the ips of the DNS servers from them to put in manually. Not that you can't post here, I am just saying it might be of some help.

Thanks, I learned something new and that is always good. by the way I am intrigued by your signature: "Putting out nvidia related fires, since 1993." Some day you'll have to explain it :)

Today is about as good as any day :).

Nvidia, in my opinion, make decent products. They are lackign in my eyes but hey, people like them. What cannot be denied is the fact that some of their products simply burst into flames.

I have 3 friends with 6600GTs. All different grands, all different motherboards, PSUs etc. All 3 of those friends had a 6600GT burst into flames on them (full out flames) because it got so hot. But thats not all. Friends of friends of mine have seen the same thing, and I've seen a few posts about it on here as well. So i think that warrants making fun of. Plus nvidias have always run hot for me. Way hotter than my ATI products (even my x850 xt pe).

And 1993 was when nvidia was started according to wikipedia, so thats the explanation of the sig and avatar.

Back