• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Kingmax PC2400 DDR @ 163Mhz @ 3.2V = good or bad idea ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gouki

I have a stick of Kingmax PC2400 DDR at 3.2V @ 163FSB. Is this a good idea ?. If I have the sufficient cooling, will I burn the RAM ?. My room temp. is about 23C or lower most of the time while my system temp. is about 27C or lower.

Kingmax

Kingmax memory doesn not oc well at above default voltages. The memory simply does not like high voltage. Run it at default and it will oc very well. Mike

Thanks. My Kingmax PC2400 can only get to about 153 FSB with 2.7V. Even at 3.1V, it can't run at 163FSB but I put it at 3.2V to get it running. Everything is fine and its running perfectly. Im just worried about it getting burned tho'. Btw, how far can a Crucial PC2100 o/c to ?. I'm getting on in the weekend so probably 163 Mhz @ 2.7 V is possible ?

My Crucial does 166MHz at 2.9V. Two 256MB sticks of it in my 8K7A+. My timings are a little high but the extra 33MHz out of it more than makes up for it.

Crucial is all I will buy anymore. Got more in the other day for the 8KHA+ I have on order.

Epox/ram

Hi Jon,
Say I noticed you have chosen the new Epox mobo with 266A c/s.
I too am looking at this board and am about to buy it. It is now available on pricewatch for like 100.00 + freight.
That is a pretty good price. The mobo looks to be awsome. I plan on running it for now with an XP-1700.
Problem I have and the reason I have not bought it yet is the DDR ram issue. I have tons of SDRAM but no DDR so I have to buy from scratch. It is clear to me that in days or weeks, we will see the real deal PC-2700/333mhz/cas2/6ns/2.7gig transfer rate ram on the retail market. It just ****ed me off to have to go buy ram now just to run the board and then days or weeks later have to buy it over again when it comes out. I am convinced that if I buy the PC-2700 now, it will last me through the next upgrade. I am looking at Micron, Crucial, Kingmax, Corsair, and Mushkin.
I would really like to talk with you perhaps privately about your choice of mobo and maybe share some thoughts. Mike
[email protected]

Re: Epox/ram

thehandler said:
Hi Jon,
Say I noticed you have chosen the new Epox mobo with 266A c/s.
I too am looking at this board and am about to buy it. It is now available on pricewatch for like 100.00 + freight.
That is a pretty good price. The mobo looks to be awsome. I plan on running it for now with an XP-1700.
Problem I have and the reason I have not bought it yet is the DDR ram issue. I have tons of SDRAM but no DDR so I have to buy from scratch. It is clear to me that in days or weeks, we will see the real deal PC-2700/333mhz/cas2/6ns/2.7gig transfer rate ram on the retail market. It just ****ed me off to have to go buy ram now just to run the board and then days or weeks later have to buy it over again when it comes out. I am convinced that if I buy the PC-2700 now, it will last me through the next upgrade. I am looking at Micron, Crucial, Kingmax, Corsair, and Mushkin.
I would really like to talk with you perhaps privately about your choice of mobo and maybe share some thoughts. Mike
[email protected]

Just fired a PM off to you.

Thanks !. I wonder why RAM manufacturer says anything above 2.8V would fry it ?. If its really dangerous to go beyound 2.8V, why are motherboards having the option to adjust the voltage upto 3.2V ?.

There simply telling you that without cooling you could very well burn it out @ 2.8v although people have had it higher, i mean they don't wanna be held responsible if you fry your mem doing what they said.
If you have good airflow in your case that will help to.
Try cable tying a fan to your drive cages so it points down on the ram, (if its an empty cage) you could take it out and drill a round hole so the fan has lots of airflow! Just make sure any metal shavings are gone cause one could fry your board...

Well I tried to feel my RAM's at 3.2V and it's not hot. I guess I'll be alright with that :) Btw, I've just changed to Crucial and had 2x256mb running. It's stable at 163 and the performance is equivalent with the Kingmax PC2400.

If your graphics card is oc'ed then down the oc a bit as the higher the fsb the less you can get out of it, it shoudn't be your board as its one of the most stable boards at high fsb's, with crucial mem you could hit 175fsb so keep trying!
Try taking other cards out like you modem and see if one of those has given up the ghost at such a high fsb!
Or it could be the limit of your cpu with your current cooling so slow that down a bit, 163fsb is awesome but you can get more!
Good Luck.

Back