• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual channel Woes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FishD

Hi all.
Have recently installed Mushkin 3200 2x1mb sticks, DC mode, replacing 3x0.5 sticks. Benchmarks show significant improvement in performance.

However since i installed them, im getting instability, and windows crashing. Im overclocking my CPU, but have left the memory to run at 192mHz (less than rated for). Ive also slackened off on the memory timings, to 3.3.3.74

Would dual channel be intrinsiclly less stable than normal single channel and so would i have to reduce my cpu o/c speed. Is there a tool which would allow me to check its stability and compare with my original setup.

I used to use to use Memtest, but don't have a floppy drive. Is there another good one. ?

Thanks in advance.

It sounds like you got a bad memory stick on your hands. If you're getting instability at 192MHz with those looser timings... it's a bad stick. Try running one module at a time and see if you get the same results. I wager that one will run flawlessly and the other will crash out.

As for a memory test program, the best are those that run outside of Windows. However, there is a program called MemTest (no not memtest86+) that runs under windows. Here's a link:

http://hcidesign.com/memtest/

Give that a try and see what the results are.

soulfly1448 said:
It sounds like you got a bad memory stick on your hands. program called MemTest (no not memtest86+) that runs under windows. .

Thanks for the reply. Used the memtest, no problems here. So eventually got a boot rom for MemTest86, and No problem with Mushkin Memory. Ran 10 tests overnight memory solid as a rock.

So i have to start to look at some other things causing this. i neet to go back and look at temp of CPU and Mosfets. Happens mostly in 3d, but also in 2d, so think this rules out the 3d card?

Might need to post on the appropriate forums, as i do more work on this.

Back