• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

divider Question.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

(Clanger)(DOA)

WT Uberclox0r
OK, My question is. Im going to be (or attempting to overclock) this week and I read the "Memory Basics" I didnt quiet understand the divider concept.

This is my current config.
cpuramspd1234.jpg

Now i see 3:4 Soo that means the the ram is 266 and the FSB is 200 And if i were to overclock would i have to bring down the divider to 1:1 depending on how high i decide to push the FSB Im planning on goin 240x15. Would i be better off with 1:1 which would be 240:240? Also my ram says PC4300? Will i get to 240???

cpuramspd.jpg

I didnt know Intels could use dividers too :) Cool
If so, I supposed this program, A64 MemFreq 1.1 would work for that too. Its a program that tells you what your DRAM speed will be after you enter the FSB, Multiplier, and divider you want to use. Download it here:
http://www.short-media.com/download.php?d=474
All this does it slows down the DRAM speed, which is extremely useful when your overclocking, as the memory almost always hits a wall before the CPU does... this allows your CPU to keep going... for instance, you want to run 240x15 = 3600mhz, and if you dont use a divider, you'll be pushing your DDR to 240 (480mhz) as well.. thats pretty high for PC3200. If you use a 166 divider, according to A64 MemFreq, your CPU will still be at 3600mhz, but your memory will be clocked down to 200mhz. Hope this helps.

EDIT: Whoops, didnt notice you wrote that your memory is PC4300, that means your memory is rated to run up to 266/533mhz, so you have PLENTY of headroom, you DONT even need to use a divider with that stuff! :D With that memory, you'll be able to push that CPU to 266 x 15 = 3990mhz before your memory hits a wall, and trust me, you wont get that CPU much higher than that, so start OC'ing and dont worry bout' the memory, you won't need a divider till you get past 266 FSB :)

Last edited:
Back