• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best DDR for me?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

proptronics

Hi, I'm trying to make a decision on a pair of 1GB sticks for my system.
My mobo and proc are these:

Gigabyte GA-7n400pro2 Socket A mobo
Sempr0n 2400+ @ 2.05Ghz & around 1.75v:mad: (set +10% in bios)

Please, no raggin' on the system....I'm staying with it for now...

I'm running stock air on the pr0n right now, but I'll be going liquid very soon.:bday: Even so, I figure there's no way I'll get more than 250mhz (500ddr) out of the fsb, so the memory won't have to run any faster than that, either. (and I doubt it'll go that far, even) So that's why I'm posting....I don't need an outrageously high frequency out of the memory, but I would like to keep my timings as low as possible, of course. Main reason for upgrade is more memory. 768MB sux.:rolleyes:

Budget is an issue. $200 is absolute max, but less is better.

My mobo only lets me up vdimm by .2v.

I'm looking hard at the memory they talked about in this thread, which are Patriot PC3200 2-3-2-5 rated, OCZ Titanium, and Corsair XMS kits, as well as a couple other Patriot kits;
Patriot PC3500 2-3-2-5 rated
and
Patriot PC4000 3-4-4-8 rated

I've read a bunch of posts on this forum and have pretty much narrowed it down to these. I read one thread where a guy recommended against getting a Patriot kit with the 2-3-2-5 timings....why might that be? Also, someone else said not to bother with the higher-mhz-rated models, and to just go with PC3200......but it seems to me like having guaranteed 433mhz with 2-3-2-5 timings on that second-to-last Patriot set I linked to would be pretty wicked.:drool: I dunno if it's worth the $61 price difference that they're at right now, after the current mail-in rebates. But then again, overkill is always good, especially on a component that might be brought along to the next system....although DDR2 might be required for my next box.....so I dunno....

But anyway, I was starting to lean toward the Patriot PC3200 2-3-2-5 rated stuff and had almost finally made a decision until I came upon the thread I mentioned above that brought the OCZ Titanium to my attention. The price is currently halfway between the two Patriot kits, but it's spec'd at less voltage, which is an issue with my mobo.......

Thanks for reading!
Opinions, please?? :shrug:

Well people will vote against Patriot memory that you listed mainly cause they are Infenion IC's which don't scale that good when it comes to OC'ing.

However in your case they would probably be the best way to go since you won't be upping the FSB that much and you will benefit from tighter timings. So Patriot or any other Infenion IC's that you can find for cheapest price (Infenions DDR400's are usually identified by 2-3-2 timings) is the best choice for your cause.

Thanks for the reply, Red.
Looks like I was on the right track, then.
So the brand of the memory stick doesn't particularly matter, just the chip manufacturer/model?

After reading many reviews on the Patriot PC3200 2gig kit, it looks like alot of people are having to RMA....and that there's not a whole lot of overclocking headroom at all... I do want to have some spare room there for when I get my watercooling setup, so I think I'll probably go with the PC3500 Patriots, if I can come up with the money before Newegg's $20 rebate on them ends.
Damn the 3200s would have been a helluva lot better value though....
But I can't take that risk of my memory limiting me....if I'm spending that much, I might as well spend a bit more, I guess.

Back