• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does this make any sence ???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cozmo_d

2 weeks ago I started getting blue screen memory dumps, up until that point I was haveing no problems at all + my OC was very stable @3.0ghz.

I recived 3 bluescreen memory dumps in a row inside of 15 min, then the OS was corupted would not boot, would not boot to safe mode, Nothing.

Reinstal OS load drivers get updates etc etc....... everything seems fine :shrug:

I apply the OC and inside of 15 min I get another blue screen memory error & dump.

So I tryed alot of differant timeings had more dump's, tryed everything even going as far as default clock's on the cpu Still getting dump, Finaly I decided to lower the voltage on the ram wich normaly refuses to run at anything lower than 2.8v, Its at 2.7 now & just ran 6 hours of prime it could never do that before.

If I ran it at anything besides 2.8 prime would error within 20 min or less, why now all of a sudden is this ram hateing 2.8v & wanting 2.7v ?

Im glad it can run on lower voltage but I had to loose an os too find out ?

Next Im going to test 2.7v at 3.0 right now the cpu is default 2.4

clean out the dust in your computer, it could just be a small heat thing somewhere also take a look at your PSU voltages just ot be safe.

Its as clean as a whistle, been monitoring voltage with mbm5 ive put a multimeter on it in the past and its realy close to the mbm5 readouts, heres what im getting.

12.v @ 11.92, 5v @ 5v, 3.3v @ 3.26 they dont budge but rarely, Its an antec 430w truepower, temps are well within safe range, Im wondering about that 12v rail tho is that too low ? these are with no load, I have been watching them while prime is running, not much variance if any.

Last edited:
Well I yanked the ram for the 3rd time, sprayed the ram slots out with air, Cleaned the contacts on the ram with 90% alchohol, unpluged the PSU, yanked the battery, cleared the cmos for 10 min, Put it all back resetup the bios & now it seems to be just fine, I better not say nothin just yet but so far its lookin good, I did not see anything in the ram slots, the ram contacts themselves did look dirty......

one of these dayes alice......... right to the moon!!!

Thx for the help

The RAM passes memtest86 at the moment? Perhaps you want to test the RAM wiht memtest @ various voltages n stuff @ your overclock specs

Oh and I've definately noticed that a memory related crash is always much more harmful to HDD data than CPU crashes in general. So when a crash does some big damage, definately memory is the prime suspect ;) (unless you know the nature of a specific application running at the time which a CPU crash could do big damage too =p)

Hi Max0r, I did run memtest86 at 2.8v and it ran for about 4 hours with no problems, maybe I should have done 12 hours.

Anyway this is really weird but everything is now functioning as it should.

Im starting to wonder about something, I tested some GeIL PC3500 Ultra ram in this mobo, I didnt clear the bios before or after the testing, Im wondering if that could have effected it somehow.

Dosent seem like it should, but i remember a few times Ive had to clear the bios after a videocard change, before the Videocard would operate properly.

anyway halilua its working normaly back at 3.0Ghz , 2 2 2 5 , 2.8v Prime stable 8 hours need to do a 24 hour run.

Man I thought i broke my computer, theres others in the house but this one just screems, I was realy sad for a few dayes there, Is that just pathetic or what. :shrug: LOL

Last edited:
Hahaha rock on dude! Be sure to use the test in Prime95 that fills up your memory completely and ****... its the one that says it is designed to test your system memory ;)

Edit: At first I was kind of surprsied that your mobo would be all flaky like that since it is an Abit from some time back, but I remember that when I had an A-bit board and a Duron, everything ran perfect stock, but the harder I overclocked, even if it was stable, the weirder things would get :)

my pc's been doing the exact same thing ever since i reset the CMOS and re-entered my ram settings, but i did'nt mess with the latencies cuz I'm getting some OCZ EL Platinum Rec-2 in the mail anyway...I'll try lowering the voltage, I got it at 2.65, and this ram reeeey hates voltage.

With a stick of Corsair ValueSelect 512MB PC3200, I actually had a similar problem when messing with overclocking... At first I had to up the RAM voltage to maintain stability, but then at some point LOWERING it made it more stable!

Back