• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about memory settings...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

the Undone guy

Registered
I am currently running an Intel 820, with an Asus P5WD2-E Premium motherboard. (1066/800 FSB, DDR2 800/667)

I just purchased 2x1GB 6400 Gskill memory. (http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16820231073)

now when my system boots up, it will only recognize the memory as running Dual Channel 5300, and sets the bus speed at 200MHz I believe. I can adjust the timings and voltage of the mmry in the bios, but that seems to have no effect. Now I can turn on AI Overclock profile which sets the Bus Speed to 960MHz which runs the memory at the correct frequency of 400MHz, but the bios still recognizes it as 5300 mmry.

Now is this due to my processor? I used to run my machine in Auto AI Overclock mode so when the system needed the extra juice it would just crank up the FSB and take it up to 3.3-3.7GHz. Now does the memory stay at a constant speed if that happens? And is there any way to get the memory to clock correctly without overclocking the processor?

Thanks for your time!

If you don't overclock your CPU, the fastest speed that your memory can run is 400mhz / PC3200. Since your memory is rated to PC5300, that means that you can crank your FSB up as high as 266mhz (533mhz DDR) before your memory hits a wall.

thanks for the reply~ The memory I purchased is rated for 800MHz (PC6400). I have to mess with a few of the CPU settings in the bios in order for it to show up as PC2-5300 ram.

I am running Asus' AI Booster, which automaticlly adjusts the FSB according to system load.....if I manually set the Latency Timings in the BIOS will this ram overclock with the CPU as well?

The RAM never controls the CPU - the CPU controls the RAM. Your RAM speed is always going to be determined by your CPU's FSB speed... your DRAM speed will increase with it, otherwise will stay at stock speed, 400mhz, or maybe since your CPU (I've not been keeping up with Intels lately), according to your first post, has a 1066mhz FSB, then you should be able to have the memory run at half that speed without overclocking, which is 533mhz. Try setting the CPU/DRAM ratio to 1:1, this means the DRAM speed will be whatever the CPU's FSB speed is, and will increase along with it. I don't know if Intel's have memory dividers, if so, make sure you aren't using one. I'd also recommend manually overclocking your system, I wouldn't trust some program to do it for me... never know, it might push it too high ;) Hope this helps.

Back