• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ballistix vs OCZ plat. Rev2?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sirgamesalot

Registered
Which memory is better? Or what do more people use? Im getting 2 sticks of 512mb in dual channel. Both have the same timings etc...

Thanks

Eddy

I'd go with the OCZ, but just make sure you get the rev-2 1.0., not the rev-2 1.1. The 1.1 version isn't sammy tccd, it's tcc5, which does'nt oc quite as well.

also if i just wanna get one 512mb stick for now... and buy another one next month can i still use it in dual channel ?

thanks!

You can mix and match different memory modules and still get dual channel function. You can even run different sizes and still get dual channel.

It's recommended that you purchase in pairs, prefferably matching pairs for best results and performance.

Depends. If you're looking for very high clocks, I'd get the OCZ. Otherwise, stick with the Ballistix. I had them running 2-2-2-5-7-9-2-2-1-2 (If I recall correctly) up to around 220, and only had to change the CAS to 2.5 and make some minor adjustments to get ~250. Ballistix, I think, is better than the OCZ under ~250MHz, having lower latencies, but the OCZ outdoes it later on at higher MHz. Just make sure you cool them well, as they tend to get hot.

the ballistix is either BH-5 or UTT(I don't remember), both of which need alot of voltage to perform well, around 3.2-3.5v, if your motherboard cannot supply this, definitely go with the OCZ, which has a sweet spot of 2.9v, which most mobos can supply.

ok well because of the money situation i just order 512mb of ballistix... ill be getting another stick next month from the same supplier will it still work great in dual channel?

Whats the chances of it not working in dual channel? and is it going to be alot slower?

- eddy

Back