• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

are different brands of ram compatible?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bolaber

Registered
i have two strips of GeIL Value 512MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM (DDR 400 (PC 3200) , 2.5-6-3-3, 2.55V-2.85V Non-ECC, Unbuffered, Heat Spreader) .. would i be able to get two more strips of another brand of ram or with same pin or does it have to be the same brand? or how about just one strip of 1GB ram? if so.. could anyone suggest something? prefebly something under 90 dollars? can't really get something too good anyways.. since i'm keeping the old ones...

Last edited:
Would it work?
Probably.

Would I recommend it?
No.

1st, dual channel, would not be possible with mix and matched ram. --That is is your CPU / Mobo is capable of Dual Channel.

Secondly, all the Ram would then run at the speeds of the slowest DIMM in there. And there might even be some compatibility issues, not probable, but possible..

err... you're scaring me.. but.. would it be ok if i just get another 2 strips of the same brand/model of ram?

i just found another site that has them.

Dual channel isnt THAT picky i mean i used 2 different ram modules in DC for a while with no ill consequences, they were even different heights. They were however both samsung modules (the PCB manufacturer was different though)

Yea I wouldn't recommed mixing RAM brands. It should be in your best interest to keep the RAM at the same speed or like all your RAM will run at the lowest DIMM speed you have in there

Mixing DDR with DDR2 will not work!

Mixing ex: Mushkin sticks with OCZ or Corsair will work!

Mixing DDR500 with DDR400 will also work!

Mixing sticks with different timings will also work, but the one with tighter ones will usually default to the looser RAM timings to ensure stability!

As far as DC goes, that all depends on what mobo and socket you are using.

I've run Dual Channel with Samsung and Winbond chips in use and it worked fine. It wouldn't be a good overclocking setup but at stock it was great :D.

Back