• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bad memory slot?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mkorpal

So, lately I have noticed that my memroy has droped from the 1gig I had to 512 Mb. It still shows up as a gig in cpu-z, but only as 512 in the task manager. I replaced my slowest stick of memory (pc2100) with a pc2700 my dad had lying around in his office. But it still shows up as 512 in task manager. Usually, I can take the memory out and put it back in to get it to show up as 1 gig, but that is starting to get a little annoying. So, my queastion is, is one of my memory slots going bad, and why does it show up in cpu-z but not the task manager. And why does it seem to work after I take it out and put it back in.

It is possible that the memory slot is bad. Unfortunately there is no real concrete way to test it. Check in msconfig to be sure that the memory isn't being limited by windows.

Back