• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PQI sodimm DDR problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Damenshon

so i bought a 1gb stick of ram from newegg and it came in today (PC3200). i installed it but the system won't boot. the furthest ive gotten it is to windows logo boot screen then it froze. after that it blanked screened. im using a toshiba portege M205 - S809.
here's the link for the ram i bought. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820141208

is it possible that the ram is dead? i also updated the bios to the latest version which was released in late 2005.

amazingly i got it to work! but now i have a question. So when i tried running the ram by itself it didnt work. i decided to try pairing it with one of the old ram stick and it decides to work. im baffled. im pretty sure its not dual channel ram so why would the laptop need to use 2 sticks of ram to work. It would run with one of the old sticks (it came with 2 originally, 2x256) alone but not with the 1gb stick alone. weird? anyone know the reason for this?

and just to make sure: a pentium M banias 1.5Ghz with some old 845ish chipset?? (dunno) does not run pc3200 and defaults to pc2700. therefore using the old stick wouldnt hinder the new 1gb pc3200?

First, there is no such thing as "Dual channel" RAM. All DDR is capable of operating in dual channel, that is solely up to the motherboard.

Now, what you have on your hands is a bad memory stick. When you install a module by itself and you get errors, obviously, something is wrong. What happens when you install a good with a bad is that 9 times out of 10, the PC will boot and appear to operate flawlessly.

Memory always runs at the speed of the slowest memory module. So, if you're running a 2700 with a 3200, both modules will run at the 2700 speed.

RMA that PQI module and see if you can't exchange it for something like a Micron or Samsung original part.

ok so i RMAed the PQI ram and it came in today. (may i add that Newegg was nice and shipped me the replacement even though i forgot to label the address correctly) i placed in the ram an it worked immediately, no tinkering at all. very nice.

now it run as 100mHz which is not pc3200. therefore i can add in the old ram without slowing down the performance. do you think it would be beneficial? 256mb more? would it sap some of the battery life (noticeably) since each dimm takes 2.5v?

Last edited:
That really all depends on what you use the computer for. If you do alot of gaming, photoshop or video editing, the more the merrier.

As far as less battery life... no, not noticeably.

Back